Strange noise in the back(maybe rear cylinder)

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
mikevtr
On the Road

Strange noise in the back(maybe rear cylinder)

Post by mikevtr »

Hi,

I'm from Roumania and rencently i bought a Raptor 1000, year 2001.
First of all i want to appologies if i express my self wrong or type the words inccurate.

I want to ask if you have this problem till now; at the normal termperature a noise like a hammer noise/knock sound ar the rear cylinder area, at the idling rpm(1300rpm); when the engine is cold doesn't sound like that; also when i ride it doesn;t sound anything. And i found that is leaking oil at the cam sensor from the rear cylinder.

Thank you and i'm wainting for your opinions; in Roumania the Raptor it's a rare specimen :) , although it's TL/SV engine.

Best regard,
Mike.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Strange noise in the back(maybe rear cylinder)

Post by shebee »

Welcome Mike, dont worry about your english... none of us are very good at it!

Someone more technical should be along later to help 8)
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Mikevtr :D

am not technical and it's not a problem that I've had (yet) but I'd check the basics - fuel, spark plug, and air filter to start with.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoWelcome in Mikevtr :D

am not technical and it's not a problem that I've had (yet) but I'd check the basics - fuel, spark plug, and air filter to start with.
saturday, this weekend, i've change the oil+oil filter; i checked the air filter and its clean; i will check the sparkplug

Thank you!
M.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Welcome Mike.

It may help to know how many miles the bike has done.

I'm sure there is an issue to do with rear cylinder knocking sounds that is well covered over on the TL websites ?? I haven't had the problem so haven't looked ..... yet
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

Fausto wrote:55 years agoWelcome Mike.

It may help to know how many miles the bike has done.

I'm sure there is an issue to do with rear cylinder knocking sounds that is well covered over on the TL websites ?? I haven't had the problem so haven't looked ..... yet
hi,

the bike is from italy buyed and have 24000km, but i don't trust the clock...:(. i attach a picture of her. it looks verry good, but after o long trip, i start to hear the noise.

someone said to me that the remapping of computer maibe will solve the problem, because the engine is not running "circular"; it's true that the rpm line is oscillate.

Thank you!
M
Attachments
240920111078.jpg
240920111078.jpg (227.03 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

What happens if you increase throttle slightly ? could it be decompressor?
Bit of a Muppet
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Hi Mike,
Check the for leaking exhaust from rear cylinder.
The joint from the downpipe to the collector pipes disintegrates and sounds like a knock.
Otherwise it can be the springs inside the cam drive. The cam drive is divided in two and the springs stop backlash. if the springs get really weak it makes the backlash big and noisy but not much risk of failure.
The cam gears are not serviceable and if defective must be replaced as an assembly.
Sometimes cheaper and faster to swap with a suzuki engine complete.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoWhat happens if you increase throttle slightly ? could it be decompressor?
if i accelerate, it ok, it didn't sound anything; but at the idle it sound.
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

Mighty Mariner wrote:55 years agoHi Mike,
Check the for leaking exhaust from rear cylinder.
The joint from the downpipe to the collector pipes disintegrates and sounds like a knock.
Otherwise it can be the springs inside the cam drive. The cam drive is divided in two and the springs stop backlash. if the springs get really weak it makes the backlash big and noisy but not much risk of failure.
The cam gears are not serviceable and if defective must be replaced as an assembly.
Sometimes cheaper and faster to swap with a suzuki engine complete.
thank you, i will check it tomorrow. i hope i don't have to replace the engine. :(....
The only leak i found till now is from cam sensor, on top of cylinder cover- i hope is not a big problem.

M.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Is it a knock or like a camchain rattle some of the suzukis had issues with camchain tensioners. If you rule out exhaust (and i had a Honda once where the exhaust had come loose and it sounded like a big end had gone) I think i would take rear cylinder cover off and have a look especially with the leak but may just be coincidence. Good luck
Bit of a Muppet
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

thank you guys for all your opinions. thank you;
today i will take the bike to a bikeservice, because my dog(who is supose to be the best man friend; mine is an enemy) put the bike down on the right and broke the foot rest and the suport of final can exhaust :).....and i will check also the problem with the noise.
:(
Last edited by mikevtr on |October 13th, 2011|, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Good luck hope its easy and cheap fix :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
mikevtr
On the Road

Post by mikevtr »

hi again ,

till now i seem no one nows what it is. At the service check de cam cain tensioner and it was ok. but the noise remain at the high temperature, when the bike is runing idle.
Someone said to me that seems to be the rear rod, but is not something tragic.

about leak of oil at sensor camshaft, at rear cylinder, i don't find the gasket, can i put some high temperature red silicone?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you all!
Mike