Raptor people out there !!!

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
TAZROBBO

Raptor people out there !!!

Post by TAZROBBO »

To Raptor people out there.Taz Robbo here,at the moment i ride a Triumph Street Triple R.I struggle with seat height as i am only 5ft 4in,reason to believe that Cagiva Raptors state 775mm - 805mm seat height,is this true of the 650raptor -1000 raptor -v raptor and the one which i am interested in Xtra Raptor.Tried a 650raptor not to good,new bike!never been registered .Tried a 1000 raptor better .Hope its not a case of source and try every one,as there aint that many for sale.

1 HOW GOOD ARE THEY TO RIDE.
2 650 OR 1000
3 XTRA RAPTOR BENEFITS OVER REST OTHER THAN LOOKS
4 HOW DO THEY HANDLE WITH JUST STANDARD SUSPENSION(NONE ADJUSTABLE).
Any info grateful ,off to sea in the morn for a month so look forward to getting back to any one then,when i will carry on my search.TAZ ROBBO
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Raptor people out there !!!

Post by dizzyblonde »

1. Awesome :revrev:
2. 1000 :revrev:
3. Adjustable suspension, limited numbers, rare, not much difference really :ride:
4. Handle fine if you haven't eaten loads of pies and weigh an average of ten stone.....like myself :ride:

as for seat height, friend of mine has a heavily lowered SV, as hes the size of an elf, was mightily impressed with being able to get straight on.....and could touch the floor :mrgreen:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

welcome in tazrobbo

1-4 as DB said above (including the weight - since I have recently eaten too many of said pies I had to jig the preload up - :( )

I'm less than 5'4" and both feet land firmly :dance:

and mines a large rum and black thanks :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I`ll have the rum too and wouldnt dare disagree with these two even tho` I am a lofty 5` 7" but the shortarse wife can manage it no problems, cant really comment on handling as i`ve modded it so much now cant remember what it was like original!!!

never actually seen a xtra in the flesh (lot of money for pretty much a cosmetic makeover)

if you are particularly small and light the 650 is a fun package (wife had one) but the 1000 engine is just awesome in so many ways so no real choice in my eyes.

to weigh it up, i`ve had over 90 bikes in my "career" and I`ve had the 1000 rap from new and still got it now 5 years later.........................................
nil illigitimae carborundum
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago I am a lofty 5` 7" .

Shortarse :haha:
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I struggle a bit with a tall seat height. The reason that I got the Rap was that it was about the only Thou that I didn't struggle with at all. I don't know what sort of performance you're after but I can tell you from experience that a Rap will piss all over race-rep 600s but maybe not as fast in a straight line as the latest litre Jap racers.

Standard handling is fine but firm. It gets a bit choppy on bumpy back roads but okay everywhere else.
Mister_Ee
On the Road

Post by Mister_Ee »

I only picked mine up over christmas and haven't ridden it yet, but I'm 6 foot and "built to last" so I may struggle, put it this way I've got a 1200 Bandit with Renthals and a jack up kit and a Fazer 1000 with a jack up kit so the Raptor should be a culture shock
Fazer 1000, Raptor 1000, Bandit 1200, Bros 400, YZF 750
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years ago
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago I am a lofty 5` 7" .

Shortarse :haha:
only means when we are lying down your feet hang over the edge of the bed a bit more than mine..................................... :P
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi Taz i found the forks too hard and have fitted progressive springs and done some spacer and oil mods (as mentioned on forum) which helped a lot .Also a lot of people (me included) jack the back end up and drop the forks through the yokes to sharpen up the steering. But if you like v twins then these are the dogs. :revrev:
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Mister_Ee wrote:55 years agoI only picked mine up over christmas and haven't ridden it yet, but I'm 6 foot and "built to last" so I may struggle, put it this way I've got a 1200 Bandit with Renthals and a jack up kit and a Fazer 1000 with a jack up kit so the Raptor should be a culture shock

It be like riding a monkey bike..........knees round yer ears :lol:

CT.....touche...my cheek got the better of me :blush: :lol: I'm only half inch taller :P
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Dizzy, no worries but half and inch can make all the world of differance in certain applications............... ; )
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I should point out that I'm not a shortarse. I'm about 5'11, but I'm just not very well balanced. I find the Rap comfy enough with my feet on the pegs and my knees don't get cramped.
Last edited by Red Mist on |January 27th, 2012|, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
superaptor
On the Road

Post by superaptor »

6'2" and 220 lbs on my 650 , front marzocchis are stiff, told the mechanic to add a lil bit more fork oil. when i push my boyz on the tank my feet touch the ground completely, when move my arse a lil back i can touch the ground on my tip toes , i assume my bike was lifted because i had to use a 2" extension on my kick stand to fix the scary stabilty problem when it was parked... compared to my old daytona 955i it feels heavier... 190 tire didnt fit on the 4.5"rim i would not even tey it on if i known the rim was 1 inch narrower.... i will try 180 next time despite all the geek talk about it, if it fits and feels good its ok, :) not happy with 170 at all so consider this before buying the 650 because i think ur triple comes with a big rear wheel too.... the high bars are good for wheelies but causes fatigue after commuting for a while on them..i have a long reach so i feel cramped in on the bike so i will use some clip ons on mine. suzuki engine is good feels even torquier with dual exhaust set up and the cagiva mapping on the ecu. 650 is quick however you really cant go fast much on a 100hp v twin either, no offense to anyone. so 70hp is okay to commute around with occasional wheelies.. so for me theresnt much difference between 600 and 1000 bikes besides the price doubling and a way more jacked up taxes currently where i live in....xtra raptor is good if you can afford it. im very happy on my 650 and after two more mods i will enjoy her more. :) i hope this helps.. cheers
Raptoress
On the Road

Post by Raptoress »

hi there, i'm a 5ft female, picked up my raptor 1000cc before xmas and love it. :mrgreen:
have no trouble reaching the ground, i believe the xtra raptor is taller, but as said, it can be lowered.
i also agree the 1000cc twin is the most amazing thing to ride, can't get enough of it.
i have also a 900cc ducati monster, and this s*#ts all over it, :ride: much to my husbands delight, he doesn't like the
monster much. the raptor is easier to work on, more reliable, etc.

good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:
There is no better high, than a good days riding !

Raptor 1000
Z1R