What do you do for a living?

Chat about anything
vassilis67
On the Road

What do you do for a living?

Post by vassilis67 »

I am an engineer, production manager for the family business, producing solar water heaters and systems...

http://www.helional.com
It's all greek to me....
shedmonkey
APM

Re: What do you do for a living?

Post by shedmonkey »

Mmmm nice lots of nice swanky machines to make bits for bikes.

I am a field service engineer doing garage equipment pumps controllers etc (you can just about
smell the diesel as im speaking) :lightfart:
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I'm a Field Service Engineer working on CNC Woodworking machinery, crazy hours, loads of miles (average 1,000/week), but I enjoy the work. Not much chance to make much for the bikes unless it's out of wood..
152/999
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Airframe fitter / Toolmaker in a military aircraft factory. I don't have CNC machines at my disposal (wouldn't know how to work one anyway) so most of the bike bits I make are via oldee worldee cut/file or conventional mill/turn. I work permanent nights too, so I don't have to hide stuff as i'm doing it :evil:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I am chef, kitchen installer, bathroom designer and fitter, decorator, teacher, cleaner, head gardener, mother, wife .......... I used to be an oompah loompah, machine operator for Willy Wonka, you may have one of my signature purple tins in your garage, usually with nuts and bolts contained within.

I prefer my current job, the pay is crap, but its most rewarding. At least I don't have to do 12 hr nightshifts at the weekend now, but still have to be on call all night for nappy and cuddle duty!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Amongst other things I've been ... an apprenticed mechanical engineer (working for the MOD...Whitworth and BSF nuts and bolts anyone?), general support working in film special effects (before CGI took it all over), A field engineer for IBM in central london with a company C90. Presentation support for an advertising agency (lots of all nighters), a farm delivery driver/ volunteer forest ranger. (that was a good way to spend a summer) and now project co-ordinator for a company making jewellery packaging, 2 miles from home. But with the current economic situation... this may not be for much longer... Ho Hum
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I now (2nd week) manage a team who test explosives and fire big guns but have been an electronics engineer since I left school with a detour for a few years running (and drinking) a pub!
Mostly worked on radar, communications and weapon tracking systems
nil illigitimae carborundum
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Started as an MOD apprentice instrument maker at the Woolwich Arsenal. Then dispatch rider, then worked the griddle at a Little Chef, before finally getting into the import/export documentation business, which I'm still doing. I also managed to do a stint in the TA as a vehicle mechanic in the REME.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

mainly 'things' and 'stuff'

and lots of 'very little'

:ride:
:dance:
:photo:
:revrev:

previously, amongst others, stock control, punchcard op, book keeper, clothing manufacture, prison supply, microfilming power station plans, baby manufacture, wombling, B vehicle workshop support, med kit and field ambulance/hospital ship supply
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI am chef, kitchen installer, bathroom designer and fitter,
DB you're just the person I need - I have a half made kitchen and a bathroom needing design :D

Ooh and I could do with some of Vassilis' solar thermals too :nod:
SnappY
ColleyV12
On the Road

Post by ColleyV12 »

Business Systems Analyst for a pallet company, fancy name for trying to make completely opposite technology work together.

Good company to work for and I can decide on 4 ways to work depending on weather.

Noticed a garage equipment engineer up there, any 4 post lifts coming up for sale?
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

What do I do??? As little as possible normally!
I'm a self employed plumber/bathroom fitter. I try to avoid kitchen refits as my carpentry skills aren't great lol.
Sometimes when bathroom fitting is a bit slow I do some general handyman stuff like painting but it bores me.
In my past I used to be a van/lorry/forklift driver, a supervisor/manager and also used to run a chip shop.
So at the ripe old age of 32 I've only actually worked for 2 companies which isn't bad going I reckon.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI am chef, kitchen installer, bathroom designer and fitter,
DB you're just the person I need - I have a half made kitchen and a bathroom needing design :D

You and me both.....when I say I am kitchen installer and bathroom designer and fitter..........I didn't say how long it takes......I may get round to yours in oooooo about a year, its taken nearly four to get nearly finished here!! :blush:

You have heard of Bodgeitt, Bodgeitt and Co, right ? :P
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

A year???? You slacker DB! :shock:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years ago.....when I say I am kitchen installer and bathroom designer and fitter..........I didn't say how long it takes......I may get round to yours in oooooo about a year, its taken nearly four to get nearly finished here!! :blush:
:lol: thats not ages I can assure ya :roll:
dirtydog wrote:55 years agoA year???? You slacker DB! :shock:
no no that's quick!!! try tens of years - now that's slow
SnappY