new guy that needs a bit of help

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
big-al
On the Road

new guy that needs a bit of help

Post by big-al »

hi ya all my name is al and i live in the midlands ..
i have just had a raptor 1000 to sell for a friend wife the guy who owned it as passed away ...long story..can anyone point me in the right direction with this bike its done less than 10,000 miles but was in a sorry state..
it as taken me a week to clean it up but is starting to look like a 10k bike i still need to replace the battery and service the motor .. i also need to get the seat covered and mot ..
i need to know what is this bike worth as I'm a kwak guy and have no idea what to ask for it
I'm still waiting for the logbook from my friends wife but i think its a year 2000 bike and a 1 owner.. when its finished its going on ebay or maybe one of you guys may be interested in the bike it is also totally std no mods at all ...do i need to check anything before i sell it as i don't like selling bikes with problems to another biker i want the bike right before it goes
all help will be welcome
al
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: new guy that needs a bit of help

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Al,

once you have it all cleaned up and serviced, check all bearings (wheels/headstock/swinger) as these can seize up or get rough if its been unused for a good while.

Clean and flush the tank as they are bad for gunging up and it wont run decent or at all.

Check back brake operation as the rear caliper can seize or lock on.

Value is pretty much dependant on condition and history. If its good nick all round, everything working, on the road, all original then no reason why you shouldnt get up to £2K for it.

The engine and electrics are all pretty much Suzy stuff so easy to get spares/bits for.

If there is anything else you need try hear for guidance first. I may have a seat cover spare still, would have to have a search.

Best of luck mate!
nil illigitimae carborundum
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

already gone over the bike i cant see anything wrong with it i have also had it running with jump leads off a car battery and it fired up 1st time all the bearing are OK and all the lights work but as i have said i will change the oil and filters ...the owner is hopping to get 2k ono for it with 12 month mot as it a honest bike i was thinking off keeping it myself but i already have a project on the go and my old gpz 9r that as just been rebuilt so 3 bikes is greedy lol
i now this is a bit cheeky as this is only my 2nd post but if anyone on this site is looking for a honest 10k miles bike i think the owner would like it to go to a good home like a owner club member ...
ps i also have a local guy that is doing the seat as there cat as clawed it .. i want the bike right so this as to be done ..
also the bike was out side but undercover in a garage without doors for 18 months and as not been started in this time until i started it last week
also if any club memebr wants to pop in and have a look at the bike you are welcome to do so
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

No worries Al, no reason why you shouldnt get around your price for it.

Once you have it finished and ready for sale, get some pics done and put it up for sale on here and ebay etc.

Give it a test ride and check the clutch and sidestand switches are operating OK as it may not be evident when just starting and running it in the garage.

They are great bikes with an awesome engine and people occasionally look in here for buying one!
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

if anyone is interested call or txt me i can send pics on 07841475526 or ill pop on the site from day to day it will be about 3 weeks befor the bike is ready to go as i have other projects on the go ...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

big-al wrote:55 years agoif anyone is interested call or txt me i can send pics on 07841475526 or ill pop on the site from day to day it will be about 3 weeks befor the bike is ready to go as i have other projects on the go ...
ok, 8) hope it all comes good and you get a hassle-free sale for the owner.

sorry but due to forum (new member) constraints you won't be able to post in the classified ad section unless you have a few more posts
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Good luck with it mate, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend :(

Was he known to the Raptor Chapter at all?
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

the guy that owned the bike is name was rich dunn from dudley in the midlands ....
the reason why i have joined this site is to give you guys 1st pop at this as its done less than 10k... i also am a memeber of the gpz 9r owner club its nice when someone offers ther bike to a owners club as most owners club guys now what they are looking at when they go to buy a bike ..
Last edited by big-al on |July 11th, 2012|, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:happyhappy: Very kind of you to think of us Big-Al, now if only I had the cash and the space :blush:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

well we are all bikers but ride different bikes ...i would like to keep it but i just have no room and to be honest I'm not a twin rider i like a nice 4 pot i did have a tl 1000 many moons ago but i only owned it for 2 months i didn't like it and I'm old school and this raptor is to new for me ..mind ya looking at this bike it looks fun to ride and i know it will have no tax but i will have to have 10 mins on it before it goes and to be far its a clean looking bike now i have spent a week cleaning it ..
the wheels and the pipes omg what a pain to clean i have pj1 vht the down pipe and the collector as i didn't want to clean that as the silencers took me 2 nights to clean up also the bike as a black powdercoated frame is that std as it looks like its never been apart ..
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

frames were all same, bronzy colour like the wheels/ headstock, yours must have been done at some point.

and yes, they are fun to ride!!! :revrev:
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

the bike came from QB MOTORCYCLES and is a 1 owner bike so they must have done the frame ...mind ya its a lot easyer to clean the paint on the frame than the bloody wheels that was fun to do i had to remove the wheels and strip them down to clean them
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

big-al wrote:55 years ago i have pj1 vht the down pipe and the collector as i didn't want to clean that as the silencers took me 2 nights to clean up ..
A lot of people on here, me included have used Optiglanz on the exhaust with good results.

Good luck with the sale.
152/999
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

well they are now black and they look ok so who ever buys the bike can do that job if it was my bike that exhaust system would be off and a loud pipe fitted

THIS BIKE WILL BE READY TO GO IN 3 WEEKS TIME DUE TO THE GUY THATS DOING THE SEAT IS ON HOLIDAY SO IF ANYONE ON THIS SITE WANTS IT YOU HAVE 3 WEEKS TO MAKE YOUR MINDS UP THEN IT EBAY AND GUMTREE
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Not too original if the frames black. :?
We need to see photos of this beast, to help you establish its originality, and perhaps price. Most of all, we just like seeing as many raptors as we can.......we're a bit weird like that
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge