Better lighting ideas ?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
snapdragon

Better lighting ideas ?

Post by snapdragon »

I was thinking 'driving lights' but would have to work out how/where to fit a light bar

After being delayed enough on Sunday to have to ride in the dark - and it was 'orrible - I really need to get some decent lights on the Rap, and a new headlight (stock type) is hoogely too much £$ for what you get

btw headlight looks ok, just that the deflector has gone off mine a long time since, not sure if just a new bulb would help
I'm a bit wary of fitting extra 'lectrics in case it mkaes things go 'bang' :lightfart:

:idea: :? :idea:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Re: Better lighting ideas ?

Post by Miz »

Not sure where you would fir them on a "Normale" but I have these LEDs on the Xtra

I find at the moment that I often ride home in the dark without switching to dipped lights..
152/999
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I did like those very much on your bike Miz. Certainly better than ' the candle in the wind' some of my friends call it...piee taking gits!!
Wasn't overly sure how you rigged them up though :?

Would it be possible to rig them to a normale through a belly pan? Or would they not be as effective? As I said to you at the weekend I have a roca pan on the sv, which had the option of spots, wish I'd have done it now, coz its as bad as the Rap for naff lights!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI did like those very much on your bike Miz. Certainly better than ' the candle in the wind' some of my friends call it...piee taking gits!!
Wasn't overly sure how you rigged them up though :?

Would it be possible to rig them to a normale through a belly pan? Or would they not be as effective? As I said to you at the weekend I have a roca pan on the sv, which had the option of spots, wish I'd have done it now, coz its as bad as the Rap for naff lights!
Not sure, but the LED'sare only 34mm dia and 65mm long, I have wired them into the sidelight/parking light supply, I am currently working on fitting HID projectors into the original headlight shell( but have been doing that for a fair while)..
152/999
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

My mate went to get new head lights for his car and at the place he went to they took his car in rubbed his lights down with some type of compound and a fine cloth and they came out like new!! I will get hold of him and ask what it was they used.
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hey Miz i wish you had turned them off before taking the pic my eyes hurt now :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I'm looking at a set of these so I can see kangaroos better at night, but I recently fitted a mosfet regulator/rectifier to cope with an upgrade. I think they're the best looking twin headlights available.
http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/motor ... lamps.html

You should be able to get a replacement reflector, I've seen them on the 'net somewhere or just an aftermarket 7" headlight should fit, but take your bike in and make sure it fits, I got caught out after smashing the glass in my original headlight, so I've got a reflector sitting here that'll probably end up in the bin. I reckon it'd be worth about the postage and packaging from here to there.

Have you had a go at polishing it up, I'd do a little spot with autosol, cut and polish creme or even some toothpaste might do it. I polish scratches out of compact discs with toothpaste.

Another option would be a HID(High Intensity Discharge) bulb kit http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/cagiv ... hts-bulbs/. I'd be getting that reflector sorted first though.
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

My mate used car plan rubbing compound with an ultra fine wet and dry type paper. Made a huge difference he said.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years agoMy mate used car plan rubbing compound with an ultra fine wet and dry type paper. Made a huge difference he said.
thanks Mark - I may need to give that a go
SnappY
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
VRaptorMark wrote:55 years agoMy mate used car plan rubbing compound with an ultra fine wet and dry type paper. Made a huge difference he said.
Just comfirmed with my mate use a very fine sand paper and fairy liquid (must be fairy liquid) to wash the head light it will go duller and then use the rubbing compound tp polish it up.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
Just comfirmed with my mate use a very fine sand paper and fairy liquid (must be fairy liquid) to wash the head light it will go duller and then use the rubbing compound tp polish it up.
I'm assuming you mean for this to clean the lens of the headlight, as even polish will strip the "chrome" off the reflector.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:oops:
it seems I've won a pair of projector lamps

now all I need to do is

work out

where the hell to fit them to :blush:
SnappY
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Just comfirmed with my mate use a very fine sand paper and fairy liquid (must be fairy liquid) to wash the head light it will go duller and then use the rubbing compound tp polish it up.[/quote]

I'm assuming you mean for this to clean the lens of the headlight, as even polish will strip the "chrome" off the reflector.[/quote]

Yip.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years ago
Miz wrote:55 years ago
VRaptorMark wrote:55 years agoJust comfirmed with my mate use a very fine sand paper and fairy liquid (must be fairy liquid) to wash the head light it will go duller and then use the rubbing compound tp polish it up.
I'm assuming you mean for this to clean the lens of the headlight, as even polish will strip the "chrome" off the reflector.
Yip.
Ahhh as mine is a glass (Normale) lens it's the internals that are a bit compromised due to the deflector falling off and rattling about for ages, I guess this is not what I need to do.
SnappY
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mot ... 4ab9efe7aa or similar that fits under the bits plastic bits around the instruments and in between the mounting brackets.