MTC Exhausts - Remap or not?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
xraptor8
On the Road

MTC Exhausts - Remap or not?

Post by xraptor8 »

Hi,

Around 6 weeks ago I got my Bubs back, Xraptor no.239.

My right side stock exhaust got damaged so I replaced the pair with some nice sounding MTC black oval silencers.

My mechanic tested the bike before I picked her up and he said it shouldn't need a re-map. He also said I have gained a bit more top end but sacraficed a bit of that low down, off the grid grunt we vtwin lovers know well. The bike is definitely more sluggish in first and second up to 4K revs.

I've noticed I am getting a lot less milage out of the bike now, even if I take it easy around town or on a longer ride. Even just a few erratic blasts seem to bring that fuel light on a lot earlier than I'm used to.

Just simple things like noticing how many revs I'm at in first gear to reach 20mph, it used to be 3k, now it's around 3250.

Anyway, if anyone else has fitted MTC cans and can recommend I get the bike properly checked or remapped, I'd like to know.

I'm pretty sure she's running a little rich, and i'm taking her for a dyno run in the next few days to see if I need a power commander/remap etc

Cheers
Last edited by xraptor8 on |October 4th, 2012|, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
snapdragon

Re: MTC Exhausts - Remap or not?

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds to me like you're right x8 top end is no use if take off is reduced, and with the price we pay for fuel these days you want it to be used to good effect - not just used up :x
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
xraptor8
On the Road

Post by xraptor8 »

Just had it on the dyno, came back at a slightly disappointing 100BHP, and air/fuel just bobbing around below the danger level, nothing major to worry about.

It's just the result of aftermarkets and nothing out of the ordinary thankfully.
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Glad you got Bubs back, but i can't understand where the difference in revs / mph is coming from. The cans will let the engine rev more freely, but the rev / mph would only be affected by a change in gearing, or head wind, or by going uphill. Maybe even flat tyres could be a factor?

Did you go the insurance route in the end?
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
xraptor8
On the Road

Post by xraptor8 »

Cheers Weirdo,

That was just an observation that may or may not be related to the new pipes, just naturally made the link soon after I got her back. Just seems I have to rev higher to get to similar speeds that lower revs would have got me to - which correlates with the less low down torque/acceleration, but more top end.

I assume the power band has shifted upwards because the cans are doing exactly what you said, but it's affecting the higher end of the rev range more positively.

The bike does feel less torquey, at least in gears 1,2 and slightly in 3. It's only when I'm up to around 70mph and beyond in 5th and 6th that the acceleration seems to behave more like it did previously and comes to life.

That all said, it my just be my perception what with a new sound to get used to, but my mechanic did say he noticed I'd lost some low down acceleration but gained some more top end (marginally).

Yes, a couple of months back third party insurers accepted liability but I'm still doing odd bits of paperwork and filling in medical forms etc, nearly a year on. So no payback as yet.
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999