Rough Idle and in lower rpm

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Rough Idle and in lower rpm

Post by RaptorJo »

Hope someone can give me some pointers to look at.

Bit of history, been running absolutely fine, went out last weekend, about 200mile in mostly wet and dirtly conditions and ran fine.

Went out today did 30mile parked up running fine. Started it after a coffee and it needed the advance lever to get going, then kinda surged in lower revs, felt like I had to keep the the throttle open a bit to stop it stalling, came home 30mile top end appeared to run fine, lower end round time surging and kept dropping the idle to below 1 (usally idles tiny bit over one and a half)

Any idea most welcome, had new sparks about 4000mile ago, no error messages on display. It has got TRE fitted. Had a new clutch switch 3yrs ago.

thanks in advance guys and gals :D
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Rough Idle and in lower rpm

Post by shebee »

Hi ... side stand switch?
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Both pots firing?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Shebee, Not even thought of that, if that was faulty or gunked up, would it still run? Thought it wouldn't even start if that was iffy. I know it could prob do with a little clean and wd40, will give it a go in the morning.
Also thinking may be water in tank so gonna try that dry fuel stuff aswell. So annoying when it's running lovey one minute then just bloody decides it wants to kick you off
Last edited by RaptorJo on |April 21st, 2013|, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Pretty sure they are snap, Have wd40 the front spark just in case
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

does rather sound like mine was when the plug cap was fractured (hairline)

but dryfuel might be the fix - fingers crossed x
SnappY
kilgore
On the Road

Post by kilgore »

Check that the clutch switch is connected and properly located, it doesn't just stop the starter from turning but also interacts with the ECU to affect a cold start. If it isn't working correctly, the engine will constantly run rich.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Been out to it this morning, wd40 on switches, still not right, went off to get dry fuel, put Half the bottle in and filled up with 10litres of shell v max. Only a few mile down the road I could tell the difference, then it really kicked in. Very happy rappy, I am putting it down to either dodgy fuel from morrisons but it let me do 30mile before protesting or water in the tank. Dry fuel is certainly worth the 6.99 unless it's in my head it seems even smoother now :D
Thanks for input :D
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Well the little bugger has done the same thing again so it wasn't that. Have changed rear spark (they only had one in) as that's the more difficult one and it's still doing it. Changing front one tomorrow, fingers crossed, it's a definite misfire running on one, so any ideas always welcome :D

Oh and I am very proud that I changed the plug by myself while hubby was at work :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Well done :thumbsup:
SnappY
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Oh and front spark/cap/lead was the culprit with mine

hot engine+wet road=possible damage
SnappY
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

I am hoping its just the spark, can you buy spare leads / plugs if not, or are they cagiva specific for a change :? And cost a bloody fortune
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Well after a b******d of a job to do the front spark, that hasn't worked either, it's Deffo trying to stay on one cylinder. I open the throttle around 3/4000 and the second will kick in but as soon as i drop the revs down it will go on to one and won't idle. I am stuck now any ideas please with a layman explanation. I really want to avoid a paying a garage to look at it. I am getting a little stressed now :(
Fecking bike less for the bank holiday now

Edit, how can you check the coil connections? Does the air filter need to come off along with other bits ? Looks like it might be beyond my capability yo even check them :(
Anyone advise ?
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Run her in the dark, Jo, and look around the engine to see if there's any sparks. If there are any hairline cracks in the plug leads you will possibly see tiny flashes under there.
Could also be a bad connection to one of the coils, or even a coil starting to break down.
You could try disconnecting the clutch switch while she's running warm, then pootle about to see if it makes a difference (you need to plug it in to start her up again once you've stopped though).
Are the throttle bodies in need of a balance?
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks for that weirdo, I've just popped to the shed to start it while it's dark cant see any little sparks (apart from those from the neighbours lol)just unplugged the clutch switch but made no differences it was still struggling even on idle.

Is it possible for a novice to check the connection? I have looked where they are but everything seems to be in the way :?