What did you do to your Raptor today

General spannery stuff
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Prob not comparatively, maybe 12 degrees C.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

sidrat wrote: 1 year ago Andy, i ride a Shiver 900, which has similar torque and about 10bph less 95 vs 105 for the raptor, all at similar revs, but when you open up the raptor, wow it would leave the prilla for dead!, it is as you say a peach of a motor
Yep, it gives you the best of both worlds that thrill when in the upper reaches of the rev range but also real easy speed when in the mid range. You can see why Suzuki still use the motor.

And I have just checked the valve clearances @ 65k and they're still in spec - so it's reliable too.
Trevor68 wrote: 1 year ago Prob not comparatively, maybe 12 degrees C.
Like the old Duke I find it runs much better when the air is cold & dry.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I really must get a new set of tyres I bought when I had major front brake issues (locking-up) fitted to my 1K and a new MOT done. I did go out for an hour or two earlier in the season and found to my dismay that my creaky old body now finds the quite moderate riding position tiring. Seems that upright ADV bikes suit me better these days for relaxed riding, so the Grand Canyon is more cherished than ever. :roll:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 1 year ago I really must get a new set of tyres I bought when I had major front brake issues (locking-up) fitted to my 1K and a new MOT done. I did go out for an hour or two earlier in the season and found to my dismay that my creaky old body now finds the quite moderate riding position tiring. Seems that upright ADV bikes suit me better these days for relaxed riding, so the Grand Canyon is more cherished than ever. :roll:

Nick
Are they not high off the ground Nick,one of the things that makes the raptor easy to get along with is the seat height
Roadsters are me!
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Out for a bimble on Sunday morning, in its natural habitat the road to Cadwell park
20220612_110253.jpg
If you want to know what the circuit is like, i was there on Tuesday on the flat barred 600 SRAD, giving the intermediate group a head start at the beginning :thumbsup: https://youtu.be/iTkxHjM63H0

Then took it to work this morning
20220613_103921.jpg
I love the bike and it is very period (read harder work) to ride than the day to day Aprilia, which is part of the fun.
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

sidrat wrote: 1 year ago Are they (the Gran Canyon) not high off the ground Nick, one of the things that makes the raptor easy to get along with is the seat height
True, and I'm on tip-toes on the GC despite it having had a smaller-than-standard 17" rim fitted to the front by a previous owner. I was very lucky there, having admired the GC for years but feared it was far too tall for me. The chassis gives room for a very relaxed riding position, whereas I feel like a folded frog on the Raptors, though I'm only 5'6". Taller bikes with long-travel suspension are the best choice for the poor roads around here too.

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Yesterday actually, but I completed the 'bar conversion I'd been working on.

Being somewhat short of stature, I was finding the reach to the OEM 'bars of the Raptor 1000 a bit of a stretch and it meant I was perched on the narrow nose of the saddle. It may be an age thing, but it came as a surprise to me that a recent ride had me feeling quite uncomfortable, even though I've got the suspension as good as is likely to be possible with Matris kit front and back and the footrests lowered an inch like the later 650ie. I looked at my stache of alternative handlebars, but none looked to offer much of a height or reach benefit, so I ordered some Renthal 756 High Road Bars. These give a grip height approx 2"/50mm higher than OEM, and I needed to massage the control cable and brake lines to get them to fit without replacing anything else. The new bars, alloy of course, are finished in titanium grey and nicely match the clamps.

Bottom line is a much more relaxed riding position than before, so I can better enjoy the gentle-but-muscular nature of the Raptor, which is a much more satifying ride in all respects than the 996cc Ducati S4R I had for a while but never gelled with.

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

nickst4, this post is worthless without pics!!! :P
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Trevor68 wrote: 1 year ago nickst4, this post is worthless without pics!!! :P
Thought someone would say that! Tomorrow...

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

nickst4 wrote: 1 year ago
Trevor68 wrote: 1 year ago nickst4, this post is worthless without pics!!! :P
Thought someone would say that! Tomorrow...

Nick
OK, mugshots taken! The new bars aren't exactly ape-hangers as you might have imagined, but to me they tally with the character of the bike which is more street than wanna-be sports.
Attachments
P1040300 Raptor 1K sideG.JPG
P1040297 Raptor 1K .JPG
P1040296 Raptor 1K.JPG
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

And the missing pic...
Attachments
P1040299 Raptor 1K bars.JPG
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Looks good to me Nick, i am on my third pair of handelbars on mine!
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

They look great, nobody would tell they are not original :thumbsup:
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Had a go at adjusting my headlight, When you sit on the bike the r/h adjuster does up and down but the l/h which i thought would move the bean left and right doesn't seem to do anything, the owners handbook gives nothing either. Before i take it all apart and see, has anyone got any input?
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

This is for the V-Raptor - I understood the LHS adjuster to be the adjustment of the near side cut off position and not necessarily the left/right adjustment of the complete beam. If you get what I mean.

So it might be a little difficult to actually see this movement.

I'll have a look meself in a couple of hours.