Engine out tomorrow. Anything of note?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Algernon
On the Road

Engine out tomorrow. Anything of note?

Post by Algernon »

Hi all.
My workbench is built and the bike goes up on it tomorrow to take the engine out.
Is there anything that I should look out for? Left hand threads?
I've had engines in and out of bikes before so unless there's a real catastrophe it should go ok. (fingers crossed) :beer:

Ta for any help.
bazzywazz
On the Road

Re: Engine out tomorrow. Anything of note?

Post by bazzywazz »

Undo the sprocket nut before you take the engine out. :D
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Ha Ha thanks bazzywazz.
That reads like you've previously found this out to your expense. :D

I presume it's due to being able to get it off rather than an interference issue?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Once you have everything disconnected, any everything else removed that needs to be out of the way
loosen all the engine bolts and take out the front mounting first and it should swivel on the rear mount to make it easy to lower to the floor.
I found it easiest to remove shock first to get a better access to the rear header bolts.
Dont forget once you remove airbox, cover up intake to throttle bodies so fekk all can get in there!
nil illigitimae carborundum
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

So, due to other things getting in the way I started this yesterday afternoon and initial progress was good.

There are a few things I'd like to ask which I'm hoping some of you will be happy to answer.

Front sprocket: I took the sprocket cover off and thought to myself "That's a different kind of lock nut" proceeded to "gun" it off which broke it to pieces. I've now seen mention of a "speed sensor" under the cover and wonder whether that's what I've knackered? Searching this forum I can't find mention of it and the OEM Motorparts site doesn't have a pic.

Rear exhaust flange bolts: Could they be more tricky to get to? I'll remove the shock to get at the left hand one but the right hand one will still be a pig. I reckon I might be have to get a 1/4" drive wibbly wobbly uj in there. A 1/2" is too big.
Is that the way? Does the downpipe have to be split at the first connector to get it out? Any easy idea how to stop the bike collapsing on itself when I undo the rear shock bolt? I can't suspend it from the garage rafters (too weak) I've looked to bolt a solid bar from the swingarm to the rear subframe but there aren't any mountings to bolt to. Any ideas anyone?

Rear engine mount bolt thing Ive spun the left hand side of this loose but can anyone tell me what the score is with the stuff on the right hand end? It looks similar to the nut under the sprocket cover which I broke. Is the outer castellated nut a lock nut so That comes off first then the centre withdraws from the nut on the other end?
Ta for any help.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

The speed sensor is located on the outer sprocket cover so you would have already disassembled that to get to the sprocket but that other part is associated with the sensor. I dont remember have any problems with getting my sprocket off, theres a m8 bolt in the center that needs to come out first ?I dont remember if the bigger sprocket nut was reverse threaded or not but i dont think so,someone else can chime in on that but it turned out to be an easier job than i thought. I unbolted that gizmo ,i know which one you mean ("Is the outer castellated nut a lock nut so that comes off first ") on the right side of rear engine mount and i was thinking the same thing too, the locking bolt didnt seem to do anything when tight so the shaft still spun around with a socket on the left engine mount nut??? Sorry not much help :(

The good part about the rear engine exhaust flange is the suzuki bit, the bad bit is that all around is the italian part :lol: not much help again, i wouldnt have bought this bike in a fit if it didnt havethat lovely tl motor in it!!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Algernon wrote:55 years agoFront sprocket: I took the sprocket cover off and thought to myself "That's a different kind of lock nut" proceeded to "gun" it off which broke it to pieces. I've now seen mention of a "speed sensor" under the cover and wonder whether that's what I've knackered? Searching this forum I can't find mention of it and the OEM Motorparts site doesn't have a pic.
You didn't RTFM ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RTFM ), did you? :ouch: If you aren't able to download a copy via the other links on here PM me your email address and I'll share it with you.

I *think* you're talking about the speed sensor rotor, marked as part number 35 on the wiring harness(!) page https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp? ... A-RAP-1_BM, order code is 800092602 on the parts listing.

Watch out for the pesky clutch throw-out scattering its bearings... http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... row#p31381
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: RAPTOR 1000 MANUAL DOWNLOAD

Post by ozzraptor »

I tried to host the manual on the web site below, and go to download this file :D ,it may work but knowing my luck with computers :(

http://www.filedropper.com/raptor-1000-workshop-manual
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Thanks for the comments Spyke and ozzraptor.
Luckily the replacement engine has the speed sensor part on it already. Lucky me. :D
I went back into the garage earlier this evening and pulled apart about a million electrical connectors, then discovered I'd loosened something I shouldn't have yesterday. :?
I think I'd better read the manual before going any further. :oops:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Algernon wrote:55 years agoThanks for the comments Spyke and ozzraptor.
Luckily the replacement engine has the speed sensor part on it already. Lucky me. :D
I went back into the garage earlier this evening and pulled apart about a million electrical connectors, then discovered I'd loosened something I shouldn't have yesterday. :?
I think I'd better read the manual before going any further. :oops:
Well good on ya for giving it a go yourself ,seems like you know how to handle a spanner :happyhappy:
Algernon
On the Road

Post by Algernon »

Now for sale in classifieds section.