Rear caliper swap

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Anakist
On the Road

Rear caliper swap

Post by Anakist »

Hi,

Had the Wife's Raptor 1000 serviced and they borked bleeding the read brake and the caliper got cooked and locked up. Thank christ it happened gradually and she was able to safely stop! I removed the pads on the side of the road to get her home and the pistons are now jammed.

Since it is $140 for a rebuild kit anyway does anyone know of a better caliper to put on so it doesn't happen again?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cagiva-Rapt ... 4485872089

Thanks!

James
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Rear caliper swap

Post by nickst4 »

I've just had dealings with Powerhouse, whose kit you link to. and they are definitely Good Guys, but more of that saga to come.

In the meantime, I'd suggest that the most likely cause of your wife's problem is that the brake lever was adjusted wrongly, blocking-off the bleed hole in the master cylinder. I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with the Brembo rear caliper, apart from the fact that it collects muck and probably doesn't get enough exercise. If you get yourself a proper piston-removal tool and can ease them out without damage, maybe all you'll need is some new seals?

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Rear caliper swap

Post by andybaggies »

As Nick mentioned there's nothing inherently wrong with the caliper. The master cylinder itself could also be the issue with it's piston seizing in the bore. Again due to ingress of dirt/muck and/or lack of grease.

It wasn't your mechanics attempt at bleeding that caused the issue was it? To do it properly you need to unbolt the caliper and raise it above the level of the master cylinder with the pads chocked and the nipple at the highest point.

Andy B

btw lets hope the heat wasn't too extreme and has ovalled the bores. When this happened to me the caliper/pads actually burst into flames :shock: and I just junked it and bought a new one. The rear caliper has a brembo code of 20695163 and is a P2/34 (mm pistons) and I quote "Fitted to many late Aprilia and some Ducati models."