Commuters?

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Commuters?

Post by Trevor68 »

Anybody still commuting on their Raptors? I manage a few days a week, cos you know, free parking and all! :D

IMG20220111080352.jpg
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Commuters?

Post by sidrat »

Mine get to work on an irregular basis when the weather is ok, but i normally take the Aprilia and the Raptor comes out for special occasions :thumbsup:
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Commuters?

Post by Trevor68 »

Oooh, do tell, which Aprilia do you have?
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Commuters?

Post by sidrat »

Trevor68 wrote: 2 years ago Oooh, do tell, which Aprilia do you have?
I have a Shiver 900, purchased new last year. I wanted an all rounder, and it comes with lots of goodies and was crazy cheap as they have since discontinued it, its very underrated and there are less of them than Raptors
Yogi at the beach.JPG
I am a tart with motorcycles as i have owned in my 61 years on the planet more than 80. Currently only have 3 1/3 (i am third owners of our race endurance bike!)
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Commuters?

Post by nickst4 »

Not having owned a vee Aprilia, only a single, are they much different from the usual suspects such as Dukes? Is the suspension suitable for realistic pot-holed roads, rather than smooth race-tracks or major highways? Of course, if you say the Shiver is the best you've ever had, it'll be a problem for me finding room and justification! :wink:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Commuters?

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 2 years ago Not having owned a vee Aprilia, only a single, are they much different from the usual suspects such as Dukes? Is the suspension suitable for realistic pot-holed roads, rather than smooth race-tracks or major highways? Of course, if you say the Shiver is the best you've ever had, it'll be a problem for me finding room and justification! :wink:

Nick
They are as you expect, designed for smoother tarmac, mine has become more subtle over the past 10 months an 8k miles. There are two things to consider with one, its a big bike and its top heavy. The big bike works as although it steers nicely, it can flatten the road out for you. The top heavy thing you can get used to.

I bought it as i like unusual v-twins (on a raptor site so you would not expect anything else) It also came with 3 way traction control, abs, Rider modes, lovely colour LCD dash, sat nav built into the dash, bluetooth to connect your phone and intercom to the dash so you can use the switches on the bike to make calls and play tunes. You can also yell at google for information for a laugh. I have only had one bike with ABS (Triumph Street Triple,) and certainly not one with all the other goodies, so for £6450 it seemed a steal.

Stick it in sport rider mode and it will easily out torque the raptor, even though the raptor is probably faster overall, its a lovely lazy grunty engine, you can see 130+ on the speedo, but its pretty all over at 125. Plently of space, large seat and practical. The closest competor, which a mate of mine has just purchased its the BMW900r, the specs are almost identical.

Ride one first, (i didn't but then i am like that!), or pop over, i am 12 miles south of Lincoln and have a go on mine
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Commuters?

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Sidrat,

Thanks for that. Top speed I really don't bother about, and all the fancy modes and TFT display aren't a priority for me either. I reckon I'm pretty well satisfied with my friendly Gran Canyon 900 and a delicious 821 Ducati HyperStrada which punches way above its weight in my opinion. Mile-munching is the preserve of the ST4, of course, which leaves a few others for a bit of a change of style. Another bike to sort the suspension, I really don't need.

Many thanks for the offer of a ride though, and maybe if the sun shines again in 2022, I'll take you up on it just for fun!

Nick