Raptor 650 v SV650 speedo

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Apropo this discussion of km vs. mph speedos, I'm wondering if anyone around at the moment knows anything about the displays? I've mentioned it before, because though my Raptor 1K reads numerically correct mph as checked by GPS, the display calls them Km/hr. I've no reason to think the bike was an unofficial import as it was first registered in the UK in 2001. Fortunately, the MOT test has never queried the discrepancy in the display, but I'd like to correct it if I could. I'm pretty sure the odometer reads correctly in miles.

Although someone thought there may be ways to change the reading inside the speedo unit, perhaps by making/breaking links, details never came to light, hence my enquiry now.

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

The only other thing to try is a speedo healer HERE

I have not used one but have had lots of healtech stuff and its good.

Then all you would need to do is put a sticker over the MPH and change to KPH
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I got a Healtech Speedohealer for the Morini 1200 I flirted with last year, and it was well-made and worked very efficiently in correcting an optimistic reading, apart from confusing the OEM gear-position feature. It turned out that the Morini speedo/ecu had the capacity to be corrected itself if you knew how to access the codes, so I got the SH back when I sold the bike. It had to be spliced into the cable from the sensor on the rear wheel, but I've no idea if it could be made to fit a Raptor 650.

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Wow I fancied one of those 1200 Morini's how was it?
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

sidrat wrote: 2 years ago Wow I fancied one of those 1200 Morini's how was it?
Pretty impressive! That great slab of engine was what attracted me, never having liked the look of the toy-like 350s, and I bagged one of few Scrambler 1200s around. It behaved very well unlike some of them, but was big, heavy and had far more power than I needed or could reasonably make use of, so it got moved on to make space. I sold it at a modest price to my guru/mechanic Carl, who proceeded to find lots of stuff to improve, including the power (!), and was using it as his personal transport last time I saw him, despite being shorter than me! Bigger balls though, obviously. Owning it was an interesting exercise as it taught me that big power isn't the whole story and you can't make use of more than a fraction of it and stay sane and safe anyway. :nod:

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

It's true, I've found my sweet spot is around 120HP, that is plenty for me on the road. Torque though, now you can never have enough.

The Benelli tre-k I had was 120HP, but 115Nm of torque, it gave not 1 cm away out of corners to my mates on 200HP BMW S1000R's, much to their dismay :haha:
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
jamesy3218
On the Road

Post by jamesy3218 »

alraptor wrote: 2 years ago
jamesy3218 wrote: 2 years ago Yes ! Keep me updated wanna go for gen 2 sv clocks keep it the same as original. Im in Northern Ireland so need mph. Seen gen 2 clocks on eBay or will go up the after market route. Also every
Time I try to upload pics here they are too big. Can admin give me advice please thanks. Good to be back have a virgaro 1100 now as well but love my wee cagiva 👌
Have you had it MOTd there?! And did they ask about the lack of kph display?!
My cagiva is uk model mate. In mph just the speedo not working
And miles have went back to zero 🙃
jamesy3218
On the Road

Post by jamesy3218 »

Trevor68 wrote: 2 years ago The speedos must be pretty dodgy, the svrider forums are chockers with threads about broken speedos, and also fitting aftermarket replacements.

I'm not sure if it relates to our speedos, but there is a wealth of info to be found there.

https://www.svrider.com/threads/ss182-c ... st-5178505
I’ll have a look thank you ! I have rev counter no mph ! Also the miles you can’t see she is low miles bike only about 12k on it
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Torque though, now you can never have enough.
Too true... as they say easy speed.