Testing the fuel pump

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Terrapista
On the Road

Testing the fuel pump

Post by Terrapista »

Hi. How do you apply 12v to the yellow/black wire at the ECU to test the fuel pump?. I tried following the workshop manual but not sure how to pull the yellow/black wire off the ecu to apply 12v.
Cheers
Leon
A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
andybaggies
On the Road

Testing the fuel pump

Post by andybaggies »

Oooo - I'd be very wary of having 12v close to any pin on the ecu...

Turn on the ignition and you should here the pump whirr away for a couple of seconds.... but not sure if that will check the pump is actually moving fuel.
Terrapista
On the Road

Testing the fuel pump

Post by Terrapista »

You take the feeder hose at the throttle body side and place it in a beaker. By applying 12v on the yellow/black stripe wire at the ecu for 10sec, fuel pump should deliver rate of 168ml over 10sec as per the manual.
Also bike not starting so part of elimination is to ensure fuel pump is working by this independent from the relay check. (relay is fine)
Manual is Italian and photos showing this process is hard to decipher going ons for wire at the ecu side.
Ta.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Testing the fuel pump

Post by Trevor68 »

I presume spark is fine then?, Did it suddenly stop then refuse to start? These things have electrical gremlins, I have had to chase bad contacts several times myself. A past owner did a dodgy repair to the rear HT lead, which we had to diagnose and fix properly. Another time it just died at a servo, I took the battery out for 15 mins, put it back in and it went like a charm for another six months, until the main relay went dodgy and just decided to stop whenever it wanted.

If I tested that relay it was fine, but then 3 days later the bike would roll to a halt for no reason. In the end I just swapped it out anyhow for kicks, and it has not failed me since. :?
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Terrapista
On the Road

Testing the fuel pump

Post by Terrapista »

Yeah Trevor. Spark & fuses all good. Bench tested starter motor and relays all good. Looks like I am chasing a faulty contact. Also when I unplugged the fuel feeder hose fuel kept flowing and emptied the tank. Might be a seal at the fuel pump but still like to see if the pump primes.