Headlight MOT Failure

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

I looked at the MOT history for the bike before i purchased it. First MOT i have is from 2008 at 1,817 miles.

Since then it has failed an mot or had an advisory 10 times for the same thing!

2013 at 1,942 miles failed Headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside (1.6)
2014 at 1,981 miles failed Headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside (1.6)
2015 at 2,000 miles PASSED!
2017 at 2,032 miles passed with advisory Mask fitted to headlamp to correct 'kick up'.
2017 at 2,179 miles passed with advisory Headlamp mask fitted
2018 at 2,388 miles failed Headlamp mask fitted at time of test. and Headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside (1.6)
2019 at 2,823 miles failed Headlamp aim too far to the right (4.1.2 (a))
2020 at 4,089 miles PASSED!
2021 at 6,873 miles Headlamp aim too far to the right (4.1.2 (a))

So you can see there is a problem with the headlight spread. I am guessing it has a European headlight fitted?? or are they all like it??

I guess i can make up a mask to stop the kickup before it goes back in again. The last time i took it in the shop just stuck some duck tape over it to get it through.

Anyone else have this problem?
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by Trevor68 »

Wow, you guys really take this MOT thing seriously. I bought mine unregistered. I rode into the servo to get a pink slip with no baffles in the staintunes and they failed me on noise. A cheap set of eBay plugs later same guys passed me with copious fluid leak from front left fork and stuffed tyres ( gone hard but had some tread).

I can't help much with the light beyond noting that mine is pretty rubbish and it has crossed my mind to swap it for something better before today.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

Yes they are pretty hot on it, unless you have an historic vehicle then there is none at all, i think the cut off for this is 30 years, so still another 9 years to go for the Raptor.

When i as still living in New Zealand it was every six months!
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by Trevor68 »

I've seen one with a Yamaha M3 light on it, maybe just whack it on for MOT :suspect:
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

Difficult with a front end like this though
20200919_171426.jpg
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by Trevor68 »

Ah the proper one, worth trying a different bulb maybe?
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

Trevor68 wrote: 2 years ago Ah the proper one, worth trying a different bulb maybe?
That's interesting i thought all H4 bulbs were created equal, but happy to take a look
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by nickst4 »

Not sure how to take Trevor's 'proper one' comment! :shock: The very first Raptor I came across was a V-model refinished in a flip purple/green paint-job, and with the style knob turned up to about fifteen out of ten, it really put me off! What a relief to find they made a version nearer to what I imagine Galluzzi's first impression may have been. I'd really like to open my heart to the V-Raptor but it ain't gonna happen, though I do wonder occasionally where that flipped V-Raptor for sale in Brandon went.

I can see the problem with the headlamp aim though, and I bet Cagiva never sourced a left-hand-drive version. At one time, you could get a stick-on fresnel lens for continental driving that tweaked the beam, but it'd still be a problem with that shaped headlight. Tricky. Given it's an H4 bulb, you could try LED versions as many don't replicate the halogen beam pattern very closely.

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by Trevor68 »

That's what I meant, but it will be pot luck how an LED turns out
nickst4
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by nickst4 »

OK, here's a special offer, Sidrat! I'm just clearing out some LED H4 bulbs that don't give a good beam and would be happy to send you a pair for the price of postage or a beer. They are of the quad-cob type which I've now abandoned in favour of the Auxito brand but do, of course, give a better light than halogen, if not a very good focus. Otherwise I'll be binning them and putting them down as a learning experience!

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 2 years ago OK, here's a special offer, Sidrat! I'm just clearing out some LED H4 bulbs that don't give a good beam and would be happy to send you a pair for the price of postage or a beer. They are of the quad-cob type which I've now abandoned in favour of the Auxito brand but do, of course, give a better light than halogen, if not a very good focus. Otherwise I'll be binning them and putting them down as a learning experience!

Nick
Sold! :woot:
Roadsters are me!
HiFi
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by HiFi »

Weird isn't it, I've had V-Raptors of one sort or another since 2010 and none of them have ever failed an MOT due to headlight aim! Must be lots of variance in how strict the MOT testers are.
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

HiFi wrote: 2 years ago Weird isn't it, I've had V-Raptors of one sort or another since 2010 and none of them have ever failed an MOT due to headlight aim! Must be lots of variance in how strict the MOT testers are.
Yes mine has passed a number of times since it needed an MOT, maybe i need to shop around testers, but if they look up the history it will be the first thing they would test!
Roadsters are me!
sidrat
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 2 years ago OK, here's a special offer, Sidrat! I'm just clearing out some LED H4 bulbs that don't give a good beam and would be happy to send you a pair for the price of postage or a beer. They are of the quad-cob type which I've now abandoned in favour of the Auxito brand but do, of course, give a better light than halogen, if not a very good focus. Otherwise I'll be binning them and putting them down as a learning experience!

Nick
Nick i have sent you a PM with my details
Roadsters are me!
purgeraptor
On the Road

Headlight MOT Failure

Post by purgeraptor »

UK Historic Vehicle status is after 40 years unfortunately for tax and MOT exemption unfortunately.
My old Goldwing has just been made exempt, but we'll have to wait quite a while for our Raptors! :ride: