Ok so i have started on the next Suspension change

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Having read through the suspension changes people have made, i have started working through them in order of cost :D

The best the bike has been so far at the back was with the standard shock and raised triangles. I swapped that for a Falco shock, but don't like it, it's too harsh, so i have painted the spring and will put it back with the raised triangles. I guess the next step is a Hagon or similar, with the same weight spring.

There were two options for the forks, one was thinner oil and two Polo shaped 10mm metal inserts, one at each end. Tried this, also don't think it makes an improvement, so removed one polo, still no better so on with the next challenge.

THIS

I got a spare set of standard cartridges a year or more ago and yesterday cut one open.........to be continued......
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Well, good luck with that. 'Flowing' the valve orifices seems to make sense given the shims are supposed to be controlling throughput rather than the orifices themselves.

On suspension matters, I've just got my Nitron shock back from the makers and fitted it to the 650ie Raptor. Bouncing the back-end, it does feel more compliant but a road-test will have to wait. Reading between the lines, it appears they originally built it to suit the heavier 1000 Raptor spec and that may be due to poor communication with Brook Suspension who ordered it from them for me. Nitron have re-valved it to suit the 650, with a lighter spring than they fitted at first, all done free and gratis, including carriage in both directions. Very good customer service, and I hope to report a genuine improvement in a bike I rate rather highly, notwithstanding its modest capacity. Somehow, the 650 is more satisfying in its lively engine character compared with its big brother, the 1000. :?
Last edited by nickst4 on |March 7th, 2022|, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

I went went with GSXR600 forks and a Wilbers shock made 3mm longer than standard for mine. Very happy with the front, prob should have forked out for the fully adjustable Wilbers (mine is rebound only).
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Trevor68 wrote: 2 years ago I went went with GSXR600 forks and a Wilbers shock made 3mm longer than standard for mine. Very happy with the front, prob should have forked out for the fully adjustable Wilbers (mine is rebound only).
Trevor where they k1,2,3 forks or later? i guess they were slightly longer? Did you keep the original front wheel or just swap the whole lot?
Roadsters are me!
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 2 years ago Well, good luck with that. 'Flowing' the valve orifices seems to make sense given the shims are supposed to be controlling throughput rather than the orifices themselves.

On suspension matters, I've just got my Nitron shock back from the makers and fitted it to the 650ie Raptor. Bouncing the back-end, it does feel more compliant but a road-test will have to wait. Reading between the lines, it appears they built it to suit the heavier 1000 Raptor spec and that may be due to poor communication with Brook Suspension who ordered it from them for me. Nitron have re-valved it to suit the 650, with a lighter spring than they fitted at first, all done free and gratis, including carriage in both directions. Very good customer service, and I hope to report a genuine improvement in a bike I rate rather highly, notwithstanding its modest capacity. Somehow, the 650 is more satisfying in its lively engine character compared with its big brother, the 1000. :?
Yes deep down i know i am probably going to have to spend some money on it!!!!
Roadsters are me!
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

GSXR600 K4 forks, with GSXR K41000 brakes, GSXR axle, kept the front wheel by spacing the rotors, details here.

https://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5193

Gotta say the GSXR master cylinder is rubbish though, prob should have tried the original before I tossed it. Oh well, lesson learnt and fitting a Brembo 19RCS this weekend. That should sort it.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Oh well, lesson learnt and fitting a Brembo 19RCS this weekend.
Ooo... i'd be interested in how easy this was to fit and good it feels in use.