Heated Gloves

Chat about anything
sidrat
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by sidrat »

I was thinking on the way to work this morning at a steady but fast pace, how wonderful heated clothing is. The bike showed 1 degree, and at the aforementioned pace it was a wind chill factor of -11 :brrr:

But with the new winter Held Jacket (unheated) and heated under gloves all was well with the rider. :toocool:
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by nickst4 »

Too right! I remember the agony of warming up again after a ride to work fifty years ago. Jackets with little substance, and gloves that must have been winter-spec but didn't prevent heat loss to the point of total numbness. These days, if I really want to ride in cool weather, there's a jacket liner under a multi-layer outer and I add a layer of foam insulation at the front, being the modern equivalent of the folded newspaper! And heated gloves to connect with a heated jacket liner if the urge to ride is strong enough and the temperature low enough. Definitely in the interests of safe riding of course! :roll:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by sidrat »

Nick, i have considered a heated jacket liner, how do you find it?

I like to ride in the recent sunny days we have had, where the roads are nice and dry but it's only 5 degrees or so as it extends the riding season.
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by nickst4 »

My heated jacket-liner and gloves are quite old now, maybe 15 years, and were made by Klan who were/are Italian, I think. Both are still excellent. The jacket has 3 or 4 settings and the gloves only one but that holds my fingers at a comfortable temperature without getting too hot. I would mostly use this gear while on my winter Honda NTV650 and also put muffs on the bars too, so I was very comfortable. Since heat loss from hands is external, I always felt heated grips didn't make as much sense, but I know lots of riders go for them. Warm hands are vital for me as fingers go numb very quickly, but my foam/heat-reflective tabbard under the front of my riding jacket is a major contributor to the prevention of core heat-loss so I rarely power-up the heated liner. 12V connections needed, of course, and not as convenient as modern heated kit with in-built power, but more dependable.

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by andybaggies »

Yeah, good kit is a must for riding all year round and gloves especially because if you get cold hands then you lose all sense of control...

And the kit today is so much better - and pricier. I had a Held two piece suit (QuatroTiempi or some such) which served me well for 5/6 years of pretty much daily use. And being Gortex Pro it wasn't cold and wet when putting it on at the end of work day if it had hammered it down on the journey in. Proper drip & dry.

The main zip finally gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a (reduced) Rukka two piece suit which is serving me just as well. Combined with heated gloves and a thermal liner I never get cold on the 30 mile one way commute.
I always felt heated grips didn't make as much sense
Couldn't agree more because it is the outside of your hands that are taking the brunt of the chill.... I will say though, that they are much easier to use because the routing & connecting of the heated gloves wires is a right old faff.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Heated Gloves

Post by Trevor68 »

haha, that's why I have battery powered gloves, though your commute does need to be under 2 hours though. I always found the heated grips on my TreK surprisingly effective too.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
alraptor
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by alraptor »

Are these heated gloves bulky?! I have tiny hands and struggle finding switches even with normal winter gloves, much preferring my summer gloves, but they're not exactly warm!
andybaggies
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by andybaggies »

Are these heated gloves bulky?!
They're certainly not as bulky as a full winter glove but not as thin as a summer glove. I use Gerbing gloves and as mention it can be quite a faff getting the wires & controller routed with your jacket and also a faff connecting them when putting the gloves on but I find it's worth it. They can also put a strain onto the charging system if all lights are also on.

Battery run gloves are easier to use but they do have a (rechargable) battery in a pocket on the back of the glove which prevents them being tucked inside your jacket cuffs.

Andy B
alraptor
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by alraptor »

I might do some research. Definitely feeling the cold more as I get older! 🙄 Thanks!
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Heated Gloves

Post by Trevor68 »

“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by nickst4 »

Trevor68 wrote: 2 years ago These are the ones I have.

http://www.joerocket.com/gloves-1/mens- ... ated-glove
Probably the only way to go if buying now. No-one had heard of lithium when I got mine, unless it was as brain medication! :lol: In truth, a few hours of battery capacity would be very adequate for any cold riding I do.

Nick
alraptor
On the Road

Heated Gloves

Post by alraptor »

https://gerbing.co.uk/products/gerbing- ... crowirepro

These look good! Rechargeable battery or hard wired options. And not too bulky

Think Santa does special offers out of season? 🎅🏻