Waiting, waiting...

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Muddy1100
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by Muddy1100 »

Gday all from Geraldton, Western Australia!
Waiting patiently for delivery of my '06 650...
It's coming across Australia via train (there was a derailment due to flooding - luckily she wasn't on that train...)

I have been getting parts sorted to give her a pretty thorough overhaul - usual stuff - head bearings, all fluids, chain & sprockets, tyres etc.
I'm having a little difficulty in finding a few parts / part numbers etc.... surprise, surprise!!
After a couple of decades of Moto Guzzi ownership this is not really a problem, except for the unobtanium bits! I will be asking for assistance from the brains trust.... starting with a photo of the stock rear shock &/or other options re: shock. I have a few on the shelf (dimensions would be awesome if mentioned with the pic!)

I guess this round is on me - cheers!
nickst4
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by nickst4 »

Welcome Muddy!

Those 650s are few and far between in the UK, but are nice bikes with a very willing engine.

As regards the shock, not all the suggested alternatives will fit as regards adjusters at the base, and aftermarket options made from CNC alloy tend to be too bulky at the top eye to mount to the frame without removal of metal. Otherwise, do check the shock linkage as these suffer badly due to their location and can sieze completely.

I hope yours is a good one!

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by andybaggies »

Muddy1100 wrote: 1 year ago starting with a photo of the stock rear shock &/or other options re: shock. I have a few on the shelf (dimensions would be awesome if mentioned with the pic!)
Too cold to go out into the garage & get I photo but you can't go far wrong with a YSS shock - the MZ456-310TRL-53 is the one you are looking for plus all the dimension are here under the 'specifications' tab.
https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/cagiv ... rber-03-10

Note the quite soft spring rate of 75 n/mm.
Muddy1100
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by Muddy1100 »

Thanks very much mate - was wondering what other shocks would fit - I believe a Falco does(?), Wondering about a RSV shock but it has a fairly chunky reservoir...
nickst4
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by nickst4 »

It's not just any reservoir that can be a problem; the adjuster valve at the base of various Aprilia shocks needs more clearance than is available. Of course you can change the suspension triangles for increased ride-height and buy some clearance, but that gets into changing the geometry too.

Nick
Last edited by nickst4 on |January 5th, 2023|, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
andybaggies
On the Road

Waiting, waiting...

Post by andybaggies »

A Falco shock may well physically fit but if it's spring isn't tuned for the specific geometry & rising rate of the Raptor triangles it isn't going to work well.

And looking at the YSS spec for the Aprilia Falco rear shock shows the spring to be 150 n/mm https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/april ... rber-99-04 - compare this to the Raptor spring rate of 75 n/mm and it's going to feel real hard.

In fact it doesn't look to be a straight fit either. It's longer by 10 mm & the top mount is smaller by 5 mm.