Radiator fan troubles

General spannery stuff
the oaf
On the Road

Radiator fan troubles

Post by the oaf »

The fan on my radiator appears to have packed up. Whilst I'm moving this isn't a problem... however, if I idle the bike for too long the engine really starts to heat up... so it's a good job I spent all that time learning how to filter properly in London wasn't it? :wink:

Anyone else had this problem and/or know what could be causing it?

Cheers, Matt.
fanarrfnarr

Post by fanarrfnarr »

well, if it's anything like a car system (which i assume it is), the most likely cause is the fan switch has packed up. if your feeling barve, try shorting across the connector that goes onto the fan switch and see if the fan comes on. if it does the swith is knackered. might want to get a 2nd opinion 1st though.
Cheesy Grin

Post by Cheesy Grin »

FWIW, I had same concern with my 1000 a while back. Tried shorting the thermostat and the fan activated fine.

Spoke with my dealer and they said the TL1000 engine does need to get hot and not to worry about it (bear in mind a warranty claim for a thermostat is a lot less hassle for them than blown gaskets or warped cylinder heads). Fan did kick in recently after a long blast - so what they said would make sense.

I suspect the engine temperature on the clock is not that accurate - it has shown 106 degrees C before and nothing was boiling away (I know it's under pressure, but I would expect to hear something if that temperature was accurate)
fanarrfnarr

Post by fanarrfnarr »

aha! i know how this one works! at about a 50:50 mix of anti freeze and water the fluid will boil at approx 110 deg celcius. as it's pressureised that will raise the boiling point of the fluid by about another 25 degrees, so in theory it won't boil until about 135 deg celcius (in the same way water boils at iver 100 deg in a pressure cooker), which is why you won't hear anything.

and thats about the sum of my cooling knowledge.

now i'm going to double check myself and pray that i'm right...... wish me luck!

just outta curiosity, my bike runs at about 85 deg under normal running and low 90's if i ride it hard, the fan comes on about 103-104 deg's. how does it compare to everyone elses?
Richie

Post by Richie »

just outta curiosity, my bike runs at about 85 deg under normal running and low 90's if i ride it hard, the fan comes on about 103-104 deg's. how does it compare to everyone elses?[/quote]

Normal running temp 84-85 deg low -mid 90's hard riding'low 100's before fan kicks in.

Richie
the oaf
On the Road

Post by the oaf »

Dirt on the points. :roll:
louisbastow

Post by louisbastow »

fanarrfnarr wrote:55 years agoaha! i know how this one works! at about a 50:50 mix of anti freeze and water the fluid will boil at approx 110 deg celcius. as it's pressureised that will raise the boiling point of the fluid by about another 25 degrees, so in theory it won't boil until about 135 deg celcius (in the same way water boils at iver 100 deg in a pressure cooker), which is why you won't hear anything.

and thats about the sum of my cooling knowledge.

now i'm going to double check myself and pray that i'm right...... wish me luck!

just outta curiosity, my bike runs at about 85 deg under normal running and low 90's if i ride it hard, the fan comes on about 103-104 deg's. how does it compare to everyone else's?
Well i was pretty sure my fan was cutting in at 89°C but today it got pretty warm (Brisbane aust) and I let it idle until it cut in... 109°C-110°C !!

Anyway I'm not happy about it cutting in so late... but what can you do. where can you get temp switches that cut in at different temps?
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Mine runs 83-85 normal upto early 90`s if giving it some :twisted:
Fan cuts in at 107 and has done since new,never overheated yet 8)
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Yep,
same as raptorman!
No bike is ever finished!