Request for Raptor info

Chat about anything
Laurie

Request for Raptor info

Post by Laurie »

Gday all, I was hoping for some info from you guys... I test rode a Raptor 1000 yesterday and thought it was bloody brilliant but I don't know much about them.

Could anyone fill me in on the day to day practicalities like:

how far a tank lasts on average,
any common faults or what to look for when buying second hand,
servicing costs,
if you guys are happy with the bike and why ,
any major differences between 2000 to 2004 models,
anything else you'd like to add!.

I really enjoyed riding it and at this stage I'll buy one if I can convince the missus it's better than a Kawaaki Z750.

Thanks for your time and comments!!! :D
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome Laurie.... 8)

how far a tank lasts on average, .... I get between 89 and 110 miles before the light starts to flash and I start looking for a petrol station, I suspect there is at least 130/140 miles to a tank... (depending on how much 'progress' I've been making :D ) I've never run out but I did have a few stressed moments on a Sunday night in Rural France :?

any common faults or what to look for when buying second hand...
the paint on the frame does not wear well, the plastic trim around the seat on the standard cracks, but mines been like that for 3 years and is still there. Front mudguard stays on the early ones also seem to crack, the later ones are redesigned. There was a problem with some of the early brake discs.and there is a mod to rubbermount the rad that was a warranty fix again on the early ones. Nothing serious from my point of view, but others will have a more technical point of view. :?

if you guys are happy with the bike and why , .... I'm exstatic with mine, still makes me grin every time I take her out. :lol: Low, light, manouverable and a pleasure to ride round the lanes or touring. I took mine across the Pyranees a couple of years back, alledgedly there is some great scenery but I didnt see much of it as I was enjoying the roads too much.

any major differences between 2000 to 2004 models,
... probably someone else will be able to give you the detail

anything else you'd like to add!...
GO FOR IT!!

.. if I can convince the missus it's better than a Kawaaki Z750..... that shouldnt take much doing :wink:

The Raptor is a bike that people usually Love or Hate, its not your run of the mill UJM (Ubiquotous Japanese Motorcycle), as you seem to have fallen for it there is no hope for you.. JUST DO IT :P
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

JUST DO IT ..........I'll drink to that, it'll be good to see another one in OZ :mrgreen:
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Latest models have a more padded pillion seat, a stronger front fender and a slightly higher ride height.
With a secondhander the main thing I'd check on after about 5K is the chain - I hope they've put a better one on the newer models, but the 2000's had a lower quality one. As long as regular oil and filter changes have been done the innards should be just fine. My 36000 service required a grand total of one shim internal parts
Servicing will be a bit less than a TL1000 as theres no plastic to get in the way, engine spares when/if required can be standard suzuki parts.

Grin city mate :lol: Join us :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>