effects of race cans

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
andrea

effects of race cans

Post by andrea »

Hello to you all.

I have just fitted a set of MIVV road legal cans and removed the baffles to hear what they sound like, they sound really deep and I would like to leave them like this, but don't want to do any damage to the engine. Does anyone know if doing this will have any detremantal effects on the running of the bike? I've heard of people fitting power commanders but don't really know what they are.

Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but up until know I've alway kept legal but this bike seems to be bring the worst out in me :lol:

cheers
Andyr

Post by Andyr »

You will probably loose a little bottom end torque/gain a little top end power but nothing to worry about. You certainly aren't going to damage the bike.

The worst that can happen is you will mess up the fuelling slightly. PowerCommanders allow you to tune the fuel/ignition maps to suit the pipe and get every last ounce of power out of the engine.

I run straight through Akrapovic pipes and have so far not felt the need to get the bike re-mapped.
ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

you wont do any damage at all. iam using akroprovic race exhasts, just about as straight though as you can get. i made similar enquiries to akroprovic and the people at forza who used to race raptors. they all said the same ,no mods required as the fuel system will adapt, might get a few less miles to the gallon, and the bike may benifit from some fine tuning on the mapping , not because it needs it to run properly ,but to fully gain the benifits the pipes may offer.
power commanders replace your raptors fuel management system. they offer different , more presice fuel mapping and management. often you will gain a few extra BHP, and a few miles to the gallon, but more importantly they smoothe out the throttle response if yours is snatchy or becomes snatchy when you change exhausts.its a matter of taste some people i have chatted to say there is little difference and the setting needs more adjusting than previous to keep it at top performance. where as alot of people swear by them.
forza quoted me £400 for commander,fitting,dyno run and adjustments.
hope this helps
andrea

Post by andrea »

thanks for the info,

I'm not really interested in squeezing the extra bhp out of the engine, just want to release the sound of the big v-twin so don't think I'll start messing with remapping the engine, I'll just put the baffles back in rather than shell out £400+ :shock: .

I'm happy to run it for a while now I know it won't spoil the bike.

thanks again.
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

I'm running Sil Moto straight through pipes with no remapping and it runs just fine. in you silencers and enjoy! :twisted:
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Apologies meant bin your silencers and enjoy! :oops: