Rear Brake again

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
TimO
On the Road

Rear Brake again

Post by TimO »

Here we go again
Seriously pissed off.
I can't ride this bike until I sort this out, the back brake has cooked again. All the parts of the brake system are about a year old, replaced the last time it over heated! Thankfully the disc hasn't cracked this time
I've no idea why it's happening, I've bled the system as per the manual, the pistons move freely in the caliper, a friend suggested the wheel alignment maybe out. I adjusted and went out for a test ride. The caliper is still running hot after a few miles, too hot to touch, is this normal?
Any other suggestions. I'm thinking maybe a KTM :!:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Just a thought - as I noticed it on mine at the weekend - the hole in the brake pedal where the adjuster goes is wearing oval - symptoms on mine being the pedal operating a lot further down - if this is happenieing on yours maybe its catching and not releasing properly?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

there may be some previous info about, I think this one > http://raptors.ukbikeforum.co.uk/viewto ... eaa049a602
had some detail
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Well, after having stripped the whole thing down cleaned everything, bled and bled it again. I then paid money to have a garage do it for me. Well it sort of works now, but it still runs very hot.
How hot is normal, I'm talking disc and caliper. The front discs are cool, but the rear is almost too hot to touch. I'm sure that can't be right :?
How hot is yours (sensible answers only please :lol: )

TimO
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

It shouldn't be hot at all if you're not using it. What happens if you lift the rear wheel off the floor and spin it? Does the brake drag? Does it sound as though the disc is warped? Is your caliper bracket bent? Can you push the pistons back into the caliper easily?
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Yep, rear wheel spins, disc not warped(yet!!), bracket doesn't appear to be bent and the pistons move freely.
To be honest I don't use it an awful lot. I can in fact get to work without using it, and some days when I'm feeling cocky without putting my feet down, not that thats got anything to do with it :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TimO wrote:.................. I can in fact get to work without using it, and some days when I'm feeling cocky without putting my feet down, not that thats got anything to do with it :D
:lol: but it's fun to get all the way there without a dab of foot eh? makes the day start well :wink:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>