Headlights - any bright ideas?

Chat about anything
oldlongdog
On the Road

Headlights - any bright ideas?

Post by oldlongdog »

My headlight has a bit of a crack at the bottom where the screw goes and is a bit tatty where I got some brake fluid on it. That and the fact that it has never been particularly inspiring to ride with at night makes me think it's time for something new.

Has anyone done any mods which not only look the biz but actually light up the road for any distance? Should I just get a straight replacement and stick a brighter bulb in it? Has anyone fitted something radically different like projectors or a 'streetfighter' twin lamp set-up? Has anyone fitted a lamp from another bike? The Hayabusa lamp looks cool but I guess it would need to have a bracket made up to get it on...

I'd be grateful for any suggestions :?
Get on with it before you die (or the law catches up with you)...
NZraptorgirl
On the Road

Re: Headlights - any bright ideas?

Post by NZraptorgirl »

Hi. Put a twin setup on a Ducati Monster we had and it did improve the lighting but went back to the traditional look for the sale as I preferred the standard look. Changed the bulb to a higher spec hologen and that made a great difference. A clean lens made a difference as well. On a previous bike I fitted a clipon spotlight with a removable/plugged circuit. Put it on the top of the existing headlight for journeys. It had to be wired into the high beam circuit here to be legal.

Cheers
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

I have a 90/100w bluelight globe in mine. It's makes a world of difference & have had no angry high beam flashes from oncoming traffic.

Chad
Nothin like V-Twin Grin!!
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Blue light Globe?
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

Blue light Globe?
Here in Oz we can buy light globes that have a light blue tint. They give off a much whiter light than a normal halogens do, sort of a poor mans HID. Works well for spotting the occasional kangaroo i encounter in my area.
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Fitted an HID kit to mine (first inside my 650ie's round headlight, then inside my V-Raps headlight). 8) needed now! Provided your reflector is in good nick this will make a night and day difference. I have been flashed by "knowing" car drivers to dip my headlight, then enjoyed their reaction when I flash them back (no, I will NEVER grow up). :twisted:
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I have a twinlight set up enduro type thanks to Miz - but haven't got round to fitting it (being electrical numpty)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Really interesting stuff here... I definitely like the single light look but am also quite happy to go for a twin set up; has anyone got any pics of a twin set up? Also, I'm not averse to adding an extra light for longer range. I did see a round headlamp unit with a projector unit morphed into the top on FleaBay but it looked crap quality , and I'm not sure it would fit under my Givi screen...

Equally there's a really nice twin unit with CNC brackets 'and all', which is £212.00 (http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/103.html) but I don't fancy paying all that cash if it's no brighter than a standard headlight with a better bulb... Although it looks well scrunty, tho... :wink:

And Snaps; I'm sure I could give you a hand fixing the twin set up as I see you're in Wilts and I'm only just over the border in Glos. Send me a PM if you want a hand with it - or maybe just an opinion on it! :D

Would love to see some pics if any of you have them (not of the bulbs though...!)

Cheers, 8)
ducsguts
On the Road

Post by ducsguts »

i got to agree with demansia a 90/100 bulb is the go,lights up the road a lot better as we have plenty of skipies here to
every corner tells a story
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Hmmm... All the 100watt bulbs advertised on FleaBay have small print saying they're not road legal here. Anyone in the UK got one fitted and if so, have you had any trouble with the law...?
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

They aren't legal here either, but if questioned i intend to plead ignoranace. "Sorry officer i didn't realise, it was on the bike when i bought it & thought it was standard". It may cost me a $86 fine, but it's a cheaper than fixing the rap after a fist fight with Skippy. :wink:
ducsguts
On the Road

Post by ducsguts »

ha thats funny thats what i said to the cop when i got pulled over for a breath test,he quite liked the look of the the bike and must have sliped his mine about the light so thats one for me i guess
every corner tells a story
old eddie

Post by old eddie »

hi , i cut the nose of my v rap and put on an fz6 light ,not sure about how bright it is as its not on the road but it sure looks the biz . :idea:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

old eddie wrote:hi , i cut the nose of my v rap and put on an fz6 light ,not sure about how bright it is as its not on the road but it sure looks the biz . :idea:
ouch :cry:

welcome in old eddie

I must say I liked the look of the NL rap with what looked like a kwacker 'teardrop' style
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>