Hydraulic clutch

General spannery stuff
Magnum
On the Road

Hydraulic clutch

Post by Magnum »

I just realize how much I miss having a hydraulic clutch, as the cable broke in the rush hour traffic the other day :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Do sombody know if its possible to convert the 650 rap to a hydraulic clutch?

Cheers!

Magnum
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

Re: Hydraulic clutch

Post by Dazza Bing-Bong »

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible, maybe some engineering firm could help you. It's possible on the 1000 using parts from TL1000R but I can't think of another unit the same as your's employing a hydraulic system. Anybody out there who could correct me on this :?:

Darren.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

just had a look on ronayers.com

it seems that the SV650 uses a similar system as the TLS for cable clutch. It also has a worm drive which pushes a pushrod into the engine casings. With a bit of luck, the TLR slave cylinder might fit the SV650 wormdrive-bolt-holes...fabbing up a sprocket cover, or modifying the stock one to take the TLR slave cyl. is not the hardest job in the world me thinks.

so who knows, it might work?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

just had a little checkup.

the pushrod is the same as the TL1000R pushrod...so chances are getting bigger.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

yes it is possible,

had a quick lookup on sv650.org

http://www.arcor.de/palb/album_popup.js ... s=0&stop=0

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... tch&page=1

sooooo
for all you guys that want to do this:
you need a full setup from a TL1000R. (clutch master cyl, lever, reservoir, line, slave cyl, pushrod!, and maybe sprocket cover. )

FWIW:
i changed the stock suzuki master cylinder for a radial brembo from a Aprilia RSV-R from 2006, and the action is light, predictable, and to top it off: NO MORE MAINTENANCE :lol:

edit: one more remark: on my bike, the stock TLR clutch line was too short, so i had a braided HEL line made up according to my specifications. (any dealer that sells HEL should be able to do this for you)
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Thanks wreckah for the parts listing and for showing me around your system the other day. I now want one even more than extra carbon :shock: , but so far, no joy with finding the parts. With the news that the conversion is the same for the 650, I predict a run on TLR cutch parts on ebay, and breakers across the country wth fat smiles and even fatter wallets! :lol:
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

things won't go that fast Phil :lol:

most riders prefer cable clutches for god knows what reason. check out www.tlzone.net for TLR items...you might be lucky.

for tourers, commuters, and big mileage eaters in general, there's only one option, and that is hydra :) 8) i've had more than a few clutch cable failures in my days, and it is stupid to be stranded on the side of the road for such a silly little item.
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

tip of the week there is no need for anyone to be stranded with a busted clutch cable all you have to do is cable tie a spare one next to your existing cable bikers have been doing this for years :o
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

IMAGE_276.jpg
IMAGE_276.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 5639 times

With a jubilee clip and some tyraps you can do wonders :D

Made it from Dublin up to Ballynahinch (approx 100miles) with this little roadside mod..
152/999
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

wreckah wrote:yes it is possible,

had a quick lookup on sv650.org

http://www.arcor.de/palb/album_popup.js ... s=0&stop=0

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... tch&page=1

sooooo
for all you guys that want to do this:
you need a full setup from a TL1000R. (clutch master cyl, lever, reservoir, line, slave cyl, pushrod!, and maybe sprocket cover. )

FWIW:
i changed the stock suzuki master cylinder for a radial brembo from a Aprilia RSV-R from 2006, and the action is light, predictable, and to top it off: NO MORE MAINTENANCE :lol:

edit: one more remark: on my bike, the stock TLR clutch line was too short, so i had a braided HEL line made up according to my specifications. (any dealer that sells HEL should be able to do this for you)
Thank´s guy!
A question though, do you really need to replace the push rod also?

Cheers!
/M
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i think so yes, i'm not 100% positive though...

of course a cable clutch is fixeable on the side of the road, but i'd rather just roll on, not worrying if i have brought the right tools or not...or being on time or not :lol:
i replaced 2 clutch cables in the egyptian desert at 40+°C...i can tell you it's more fun to just roll on without breakdowns ;)

and then you have the worm drive which wears out in about 10.000kms if you ride regularly in bad weather...nope, no cable for me anymore!
booah
On the Road

Post by booah »

I agree with the cable tie solution when in a panic, like at 8:00 at night first pass at the drag strip and the cable snaps on the start line. Not only embarrasing but had to make it home somehow. Cable ties are a saviour, and 2 pulls of the clutch on a 76km trip home, anew record even for me. Have a spare now and coverted to a CRG cltch perch with roller bearings etc, beautiful action and a piece of art too.
993ti
On the Road

Post by 993ti »

2003 Raptor 1000
Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition.
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

993ti wrote:Or get a Magura 'hydraulic' cable ;)
http://www.controls.magura.com/english/ ... ameset.htm
So Which one did you get?

Brgds
/
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

wreckah wrote:i think so yes, i'm not 100% positive though...

of course a cable clutch is fixeable on the side of the road, but i'd rather just roll on, not worrying if i have brought the right tools or not...or being on time or not :lol:
i replaced 2 clutch cables in the egyptian desert at 40+°C...i can tell you it's more fun to just roll on without breakdowns ;)

and then you have the worm drive which wears out in about 10.000kms if you ride regularly in bad weather...nope, no cable for me anymore!
Hi again!
Apperently there are two rods in a TL1000 one close to the slave cylinder.
Which needs to be replaced, booth?

Cheers!
/M
P.S Found a used slave cylinder what should I pay?
A new is €168
D.S