650 clutch cover to 1000

General spannery stuff
Brutas
On the Road

650 clutch cover to 1000

Post by Brutas »

Hi all

I can't stop the oil escaping from the right hand of the engine on my 2000 v-raptor 1000 :( :?

anyway, today I noticed that a 2007 (poss others) 650 has no seperate clutch cover and was wandering if this would fit?

Question is.... Will it fit or if not, how can I stop the oil???

Sorry to be blunt but so frustraited. :blink: :blush:
Live life to the full ( throttle that is )
AZ
On the Road

Re: 650 clutch cover to 1000

Post by AZ »

Sorry but it`s totally different.Just look at where the water pump is on the 1000 compared to the 650 and you will see the difference.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

from experience - could it be the oil/water cooler seal that's fubar'd ? I had this happen - due to a 'nick' in the flange where the seal fits, this got bigger over time and stopped the seal working properly. I got a used TL casing which fits (but you have to keep the Raptor water casing - the top one with pipes)

to determine this - is the oil escaping from the whole casing where the gasket is, or the seep hole?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Brutas
On the Road

Post by Brutas »

Thanks AZ and Snapdragon

it is deffinatly the clutch cover, I've tryed gasket goo in there but it still escapes once the engine reaches temp and the revs are up
first it starts blowing bubbles then just sprays out :? :(
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:( Suzuki TL 1000 casing fits - as said ^ if it's the cover at fault.

Bubbling and squirting hmm?? Is the oil cooler doing it's job?
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

If you over tighten the bolts round the clutch cover you can make this issue worse. Also not to tighten in a circle, do opposite sides, to even it out, to stop a warped cover happening. They're plastic so prone to the problem.

This happens rather often with the SV clutch cover, had it myself on the old SV, I was lucky it stopped after it was stood for a while lol....completely coincidental! They tend to go first on the very bottom bolt, weepy leak when got right upto temp, stop when its cold....an inconvenient mess on your pristine bike :(
It also happens on the TL1000 and IIRC the SV1000. I have known people to use heat resistant silicone, but sparingly, if you've run out of patience with gaskets. Once they're warped....a new gasket won't work
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Mine did the same 3 years ago and wouldn`t seal until i used some silicon sealant and held the case central(it does slop around on the bolts and leaves a gaping gap at the bottom where it pushes the rubber gasket out with the oil)and ithen tightened them up in sequence bit by bit like a cylinder head.Not leaked one bit since.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Brutas
On the Road

Post by Brutas »

cheers all,
I'll try some sealent with the new gasket when it arrives
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:oops: I thought it was the big casing with gasket - not the round plastic cover (with 'o' ring)

it's me age :( y'know :doh:
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I have same problem and cover is badly distorted ie large gap central to the top two bolts. I tried thicker o ring but just same, now trying goop but too early to say yet :x Is the suzuki one plastic also? I want alloy if poss
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

AFAIK, its plastic.

Nows the time to swap it for that nice billet one you've always wanted :wink:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i had the same problem and i managed to solve this, i took the clutch cover off and laid it on a flat surface and noticed that the cover had gaps ,so what i did was laid some medium grade wet n dry on the flat surface and rub the cover in a circular motion until all the gaps were gone ,it took a while but it worked and its never leaked since.