Photoshop master needed !

General spannery stuff
V4mp
On the Road

Photoshop master needed !

Post by V4mp »

Hello !

I dont know how to use photoshop or any image processing programs so if here is someone who can, I have task for you. ;)
I've being think that I might want to change colour of my bike from red to satin black.
Thing is that I dont have enough money now to spent painting or taping her. But I think I've found solution... Plastidip !
I would be very grateful if someone could change my bikes colour (red pieces, indicator pods and tailpiece) to this

Audi you see above is plastidipped.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Photoshop master needed !

Post by Spyke »

Sorry I'm not a photoshop master, but I have had a play with Plastidip, and didn't find it to be a cheap alternative to paint! I paid $30 for a single can of plastidip, and the only thing I could find to try it on was a set of mirrors. Doing it outside, where there was the lightest of breezes, the whole can was needed to get decent coverage on the backs of the mirrors - the stems were already black. On the other hand my local Bunnings (UK think B@Q) sells rattle can matt black paint for $3, and it does much more than a set of mirrors! The plastidip only really lasted a couple of months, as it was very prone to attracting fluff to the rubberised coating, and wasn't easy to clean - rub hard enough to get the bugs off and the plastidip comes off too.

If you do your prep correctly, you can actually do a decent DIY job with the rattle cans, if you really want a colour change, but yeah it would look great in satin black!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

I know that plastidip dont last forever, but it should last at least this riding season... I hope :D
Also surface isnt as good as painted but I think allright. Seen small plastidipped parts and they look and felt just fine.
But in my mind it is lot cheaper, it costs here ~20€ a bottle and with one bottle you can plastidip one wheel andd there is not many parts to plastidip. Painting costs +500€ so if I can plastidip my bike with ten cans its still lot cheaper.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I'd be interested to see the size of that bottle. Seriously, the mirrors needed 3-4 coats, that used a whole tin. I watched a few YouTube videos, and on the one can wheels you could see the original colour underneath, I wouldn't be happy with that.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Spyke wrote:I'd be interested to see the size of that bottle. Seriously, the mirrors needed 3-4 coats, that used a whole tin. I watched a few YouTube videos, and on the one can wheels you could see the original colour underneath, I wouldn't be happy with that.
I'm talking about spray version of plastidip and its in normal sized (400ml) spray can.
To get smooth surface I've understood that you need at least 6 layers of plastidip.
In this clip looks usable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIUbG4f2tMw
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I'm guessing the 400ml can is the same size as all the other tins on my shelf, in which case I'll bet you $50 that it won't give you the required 6 coats on one wheel....

Still off topic, but on pricing raw materials spray paint is cheaper per square metre!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Spray painting in the uk can get quite expensive(and a lot of companies wont sell you it)
1 litre cheaper brank 2k about £35 per litre( 1 litre would easily do a bike)
filler/primer about £25 per litre
hardener about £10
thinners about £15 would last a few paint jobs
then sundries wet/dry paper ,masking tape, filler etc
then if you want a laquer on top of a basecoat add another £40ish
and also not forgetting lots of time preparing and cleaning up afterwards

spraying does a better job than rattle cans (my experience is that they are better than nothing but not great)but obviously you need a compressor, spray gun ,face mask(2k paint is very dodgy) somewhere dry and dust free to do it.

obviously if you are doing it all the time you would have bits and pieces left from other jobs
Bit of a Muppet
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Spyke wrote:I'm guessing the 400ml can is the same size as all the other tins on my shelf, in which case I'll bet you $50 that it won't give you the required 6 coats on one wheel....

Still off topic, but on pricing raw materials spray paint is cheaper per square metre!
It is the same size as all the other tins on your shelf :)
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

shedmonkey wrote:Spray painting in the uk can get quite expensive(and a lot of companies wont sell you it)
1 litre cheaper brank 2k about £35 per litre( 1 litre would easily do a bike)
filler/primer about £25 per litre
hardener about £10
thinners about £15 would last a few paint jobs
then sundries wet/dry paper ,masking tape, filler etc
then if you want a laquer on top of a basecoat add another £40ish
and also not forgetting lots of time preparing and cleaning up afterwards

spraying does a better job than rattle cans (my experience is that they are better than nothing but not great)but obviously you need a compressor, spray gun ,face mask(2k paint is very dodgy) somewhere dry and dust free to do it.

obviously if you are doing it all the time you would have bits and pieces left from other jobs
You're right in that spraying does better surface than any other method.
But it is way harder to do by yourself... You need all the equipment and place where to spray.
With plastidip that other stuff isnt needed and it can even be done outside !
So in my mind quality to price/easiness ratio is excellent :thumbsup:

I've also been thinking taping... But if you dont do it yourself I think its expensive, any opinions ?
I think it is also harder to do by yourself than plastidip... Just my opinion. :blush:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I'm guessing it will look just like an x raptor, are those better forks than the xrap forks ?
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

ozzraptor wrote:I'm guessing it will look just like an x raptor, are those better forks than the xrap forks ?
Almost like xrap. ;)
Xrap paint is called batblack and its something between matte grey and black... or so I see it.
BUT I prefer something more dark, "real" matte/satin black.

I wouldnt say necessary better, those are Duc monster S4 forks.

Still needing that photoshop master !
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Spyke wrote:Image
Black and white ? :mrgreen: