Rear Wheel Bearings

Chat about anything
Al Grant
On the Road

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by Al Grant »

Hi,
Has anybody got a reference number for the rear wheel bearings. Mine haven't collapsed yet but they seem mighty hot. Makes a change from the rear disc though.
AL
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

<<<search search >>> I know it's in here some where <search search>

found it :D rear wheel is 6006-2R51/C3
, two of I reckon - found it tucked away in the back of an old old post

HERE

I probly need some more too - last done at 25000 miles :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

snapdragon wrote:found it :D rear wheel is 6006-2R51/C3, two of I reckon - found it tucked away in the back of an old old post
You may be wise to get 3, 1 each side for the hub and one set for the rear sprocket housing/cush drive. I think you should change all the bearings in any given component at the same time, just to make sure everything is even.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

You're right Jimbo - in fact having just found a bag of old bearings (from the first time they were changed) in the cupboard :oops: There are four (4)

and the number on the bearing is 6006 - 2RS1

I am just off to try and get some from my local engineering supplies place on the industrial estate
if they don't have any I'll be ordering from B&C Express http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/b ... BE-KOYOMTN £5.88 each

Looking at the explosion diagram and parts list thingy it seems there are two versions - three bearing version and four bearing version. (spacers are different between the two types) As I have found four I'm guessing I have the four bearing version.
Will post my findings later -

coooo this techie stuff is hard work innit? :shock:
SnappY
Al Grant
On the Road

Post by Al Grant »

Thankyou very helpful I'll buy the drinks should our roads cross.

AL
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Alky wrote:Thankyou very helpful I'll buy the drinks should our roads cross.

AL
Woooo drinks !! :D :D I might just have to pass through when I'm on my way to visit my boy in Warrington :wink:
SnappY
xfact
On the Road

Post by xfact »

Just had to change mine... Have in mind that tree of the bearings are the same : 6006-2R51/C3 , but the forth one ( just next to the rear sprocket ) is slightly different 6006-2R51/C4. C4 means that it with slightly bigger heat tolerances, so it can withstand the heat buildup from all that torgue you've got ;)
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

found this thread before ordering new bearings.

The bearing manufacturers don't recommend bearings with a C expansion coefficient for motorcycle wheel bearing use as the temperature range found in typical wheel bearings never reaches a level to achieve optimum clearance. The extra clearance when cold in C bearings allows side play at the rear wheel.
C bearings are for use in electric motors and applications where heat is an issue.
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p6221/ ... f3277087b9
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing