No Back Brake

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Phil,

When you bleed the brakes (assuming you have freed of the sticking piston that is :lol: ) Put the old pads back in and stick a piece of wood in there for the pads to bite into whilst your bleeding them. In all fairness you might not need the new pads so the wood will save them as well.

Just make sure you giove the caliper(s) and pistons a good clean. I usually use an old toothbrush as it wont mark the piston.

Taz
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
Mr_Moto
On the Road

Post by Mr_Moto »

Hi,

had similar problems. No pressure on the rear but no leakages at all. Bleeding the system the standard way without any vacuum pump did help little for little time. Then I removed the whole stuff, put it on a work bench and bleeded it by using a vacuum pump. It works fine since 6 month and little mileage. Whilst bleeding it something felt weird. Like a sealing everts and then it worked... Isn't the rear caliper the same as Duc Monster? Do they have the same problems? Or is it related to the master cylinder? If the Ducs don't have this problems, can we possibly use the master cylinder of them? Anyone here involved with Ducati Monsters?

By the way, I want to change the front of my 1000 Raptor. I'm thinking of the headlight of the new Honda CB1000R, Kwak Z1000, Yamaha MT03 or similar stuff. Has anybody done similar things or can give some good advise?

Brgds

Mr_Moto
Life's a bitch - and then you die...
pod
On the Road

Bleeding brakes

Post by pod »

My back brake went all useless last week, so Ive spent the last two days trying to make it work.
Took the whole lot off and got it on the bench, parted the coupling at the master cylinder, poked the piston with a screwdriver and squirted neat brake fluid into my left eye. (Not sore yet) After rinsing my eye out I was satisfied the cylinder was pumping but thought I would strip it just the same.
Took off the circlip, easy, then .... nothing couldnt get the piston out or the white PTFE liner, so I worked a lot of clean fluid through it and rebuilt the lines.

Checked the rear caliper pistons were free, one was more free than the other but nothing bad.

Stuck the MC back on and left the caliper loose and up near the seat, proceeded to bleed seven shades of shit out of it, tried all sorts, horse doctor syringe, wee clamps, smoking, swearing etc .
What worked best was leaving the bleeder open with some clear line attached and both pistons right home, then pumping the brake pedal to flush through. This shifted a bit of air.
Then close bleeder, pump pistons out a bit, then force back pistons with pads and a wedge, bleed again, repeat afew times, eventually no more air appeared and the brake sort of works, still not what you would call a good pedal though.

So I get on t'internet and search "Bleeding brembo rear brake cylinders" up comes an Aprilia forum ,same brakes , same hassle. Just crap really.
The common fix seemed to be leave a brick on the pedal overnight and the next day the brembo fairies will have taken the air away.

So , tonight after an evenings thrash thats what I going to do, this time tomorrow Ill report back with a yay or nay on the overnight brick.
Current state of play is one very well flushed through system with clean free caliper pistons and new rear pads, original hose and mastercylinder.
If the brick doesnt work I will buy a new M Cylinder, only about £40.

The rear brake has been pish since I got the bike at 3000 miles , now at 36,000 .

Oh yeah,I sometimes get that hot rear caliper thing too, presumably because the rear pads dont retract properly, I knowthe caliper is good because it gets cleaned with a toothbrush at least once a year.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
pod
On the Road

link to bleeding

Post by pod »

An excellent write up on brake bleeding,
most important two positions for elevated rear caliper

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... hp?t=15500

Ive just followed this method, position 2 for the caliper got the last bit of air out, I now have a solid pedal and a good rear stopper.
Now out for more fun.

Note to moderator, the link should be a sticky in the tech section, could save folks a lot of grief, the Mille people have an identical rear brake.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Done!

thanks for that POD - and the Aprilaforum.com for permission to use it!

Sheb
Monk
On the Road

Post by Monk »

heh it could of been worse, ive got the oposite (and more expensive) problem - my rear break locks on, seem a washer or somthins gone in the rear master cylinder or somthing and isnt allowing break fluid to return - apart form very slowly (like 20 mins) - solution order a new rear master cylinder or something from italy (£80-100 once its fitted aparantly) - downside 2 months to get it - ah well only a month to go.... just intime to miss summer.... poopy

laters

Monk
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

summer's been held over till autumn this year 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>