Raptor battery

Chat about anything
stevepratt48
On the Road

Raptor battery

Post by stevepratt48 »

Heads up, if you're after a bettery!
www.sticky-stuff.co.uk are doing a GEL battery YTX12-BS for £39 delivered. Ordered one at 14.30, yesterday, arrived 09.00 today. Cheapest acid battery I could find was £30, haven't seen a Gel battery anywhere near that. General recomendation it that acid batteries should only be vertical, although we all do it!!
:lol:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Bargain :D

I'm keeping that link ;)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I`m working on the principal that the whole bike should be treated like a battery, and keep it vertical as much as possible ,which is easier than i expected :P
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Almost completely killed my battery, so short of soldering it to the Optimate, think I'll invest in one of these instead. Cheers Steve.
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

I fitted a 12-BS and the battery is a little larger than expected. Hard on the hands and a bugger to fit, or better to find out how to fit. From what I noticed the battery should be a 9-BS this fits just right. Thing is I have already placed the 12-BS. She's tight and the seats a little difficult to get right, but thank God it works.

These Italians must have little hands. Maybe its some out of spce little people that made the bike.... hummmmm
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

Had this problem also my vraptor was fitted with a 9BS and everywhere you look on the tinernet it says its a 12BS. the 12BS is about an inch and a half taller than the 9BS so the clamp won't go back around the battery without modification. the seat is also a bugger to fit so what i did was with a dremmel cut off all the renforcing ribs on the tongue of the seat. now it fits like a glove. the plastic on the seat base is fairly flexable and hasn't cracked or owt.
where's the bar?
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Just wait for the first hump-backed bridge.........
:evil:
Must admit, bit tight, I spray WD40 down the slot, B4 I slide the seat back on(In?), works for me!
:D
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Must admit that I ordered the 9, not the 12. I have an alarm fitted, which sits where the toolkit should go. It's pretty tight as it is, so getting a 12 was not an option. Shame, as I would like the comfort of having those 200 extra mA. Also, I'm not brave enough to "modify" the seat hook to make it fit.

Hope this new one lasts a bit longer than the first one - only got 7 months out of the original Varta. Doesn't help that I killed it (twice, to be sure). Maybe I should have ordered a spare aswell? :oops:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Had a total of three batteries on mine in five years - four if you count the non gel one that got taken back to the 'dealer'

the optimate/heated grip combination managed to kill one (it was the optimate what done it!!?!)

notaclue if it's the 12 or 9 I have now (and I'm not skinning me knuckles to get it out and look)
SnappY
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

I do have a lot of gadgets fitted to the rappy - heated grips, alarm, led indicators. Oh yeah, and a sat nav. Perhaps I should try modding the frame to fit two more batteries to the underside of the seat, behind the number plate - just to be sure!? :D

How did the Optimate kill your battery, snap? Was it a problem with earlier models (I have a III SP), a dodgy Optimate or do they actually do more harm than good?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

twistedpr wrote:I do have a lot of gadgets fitted to the rappy - heated grips, alarm, led indicators. Oh yeah, and a sat nav. Perhaps I should try modding the frame to fit two more batteries to the underside of the seat, behind the number plate - just to be sure!? :D

How did the Optimate kill your battery, snap? Was it a problem with earlier models (I have a III SP), a dodgy Optimate or do they actually do more harm than good?
:lol:
lol sat nav?? getting 'otherwise placed' is part of the fun surely ? 8)

'twas a dodgy optimate, or at least the on bike wiring part - bought in a bike shop closure sale, I tend to use her year round so it was a belt and braces buy :oops: - Took it off and just use the unit to trickle charge spare batteries now
SnappY
jimtech
On the Road

Post by jimtech »

Battery just gone dead on my raptor, After some research and measuring the battery needed is a YTX12ABS, the A makes all the difference! these batteries are 105mm tall instead of a standard YTX12BS which is 130mm. I assume they've got a higher output than a YTX9, which is a similar size. Unfortunately gel cells are around £60 online, rather than £40ish - Boo, but should last a bit longer?