Rear Suspension woes

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
TimO
On the Road

Rear Suspension woes

Post by TimO »

Hi all
Thought I'd share my latest antics.
A few weeks back, when it was cold and wet I thought I'd give the Rap a jolly good clean, maybe replace a few corroded parts with some shiney new ones. A couple of weekends work :roll:
Off came the back wheel, exhausts, footpeg hangers. I started to degunk all those hard to get at parts. Whilst I was there I thought why not replace the suspension link bearings. I got all the pieces off and Oh my god the bearings were completely shot, In fact all that was there was just a fused mass of rusty metal, nothing resembling a bearing. I've taken the link arm to a local bearing supplier who have failed to get whats left of the bearing out. They tried 50 tonnes of pressure on the arm, nothing moved! Any more would have deformed the arm, so they stopped.
They're now going to make up a new arm for me, however there are still bearings left in the swing arm mounting point. Not sure how these are going to come out yet. Basically the bearing has fused to the metal work of the swing arm.
So a few days work has turned into an epic spannering session, I'm sure it'll be lovely when it's done.
I'll get the swing arm powder coated while I'm at it.
My advice to you, changing these bearings is actually an easy and cheap job ( all you need are 6 22x16x16 bearings, about £4 each and 6 22x16x4 oil seals, about £1 each), my Rap has done nearly 30K, so check yours out before it's too late.
I'm going to replace the fork springs and seals as well this weekend, busy, busy!!
Can't remember the last time I rode it :(
TimO
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Eeek. :shock: .. thanks for the heads up on that one.... Out to play with Mama this weekend but I'll have a check soon!

x
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Good tip!

I grease mine regularly, and they are still OK but think about replacing them for next season, just to be save :D
No bike is ever finished!
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Unlucky, my 650 got a similar treatment this year and I only found one set of knacked bearings, the ones in the swing arm.
I got those out using a long bit of 8mm screwed rod some nuts ,sockets etc as a puller. They werent rusted though.

Although the bearings and seals are easy off the shelf, the bush between the bolt and needle rollers was not easy to get, OEM in Holland list them, I made my own from hardened silver steel. Im lucky to have access to a lathe though.

My bike had done around 37 K (all weather use) at this point, I had replaced the link with a Baines item at around 8K though, I have the stock link with brgs as a spare if you want it?
Be interesting to know how yours got so trashed, pressure washing maybe? I reckon mine have been saved by the scottoiler which had coated the links with a good dose of sticky oil.

Chatting to a motocrosser at work , he said MX bikes with rising rates get a strip and lube after every meet!
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Thanks Pod, you have a PM

I have no idea why they ended up like they did, I don't use a pressure washer. It gets used all year round and cleaned regularly, obsessively some say :lol:
Just unlucky I guess.
Looking back now it did feel a bit hard on the back end, I'm hoping the new bearings will make it feel like a new bike.

TimO
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:shock: ooer - maybe I best give mine a looking at, done a fair few miles, 77000 and I think they may have been replaced once :oops: but I lost my list of 'stuff wot has been done' when the computer went belly up last year and can't remember

age cometh not alone :?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Just re-fitted my Hagon rear-shock and forgot to check the bearings :oops: Have one eye on a Baines link so will check all bearings if/when that arrives. Luckily I also have a Scottoiler which puts a nice layer of oil on the swingarm/shock/bone triangles, and she's done less than 10K, so hopefully they'll be ok? :?

Am also thinking about replacing the fork seals - where did you get them from mate?
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Got my fork seals from here

http://www.gear4bikes.com/acatalog/Fork ... sions.html

43x54x11 are the dimensions

TimO
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Thanks for the oil seals info TimO. Did your dust seals need doing too? If so, any ideas which ones to get?

Well, I followed the advice and checked the bearings. Dog bone, good. Shock, good. Swingarm, rusted solid. Oh, bother (or words to that effect).

Luckily I have a spare swingarm, which has a nice shiny new set of bearings in it. Perfect, swap them over, job done. Popped out the spare bearings with ease. But can I get the blimmin rusted thing out? Nope. Inner ring eventually came out in cloud of rust dust, shortly followed by a few needle bearings (a similar red/orange hue). After shattering a screwdriver (used it a chisel), nearly breaking my thumb with lump hammer and trying to make a puller, I've resorted to applying half a can of WD-40 and putting the Dremel on charge (just in case). If that doesn't work, then I'm gonna have to swap over swingarms and get what's left of the rusty bearing pressed out by a professional.

Don't get me wrong, I love her to bits, but sometimes..... :evil:
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

Haven't done the forks yet, I'm hoping that the dust seals will be OK

Sounds just like my swing arm, I sought professional help he did it in minutes :roll:

Incidentally I've just sent my rear shock to Brook Suspension for a refurb, they're the ones who are on Ebay, I guess I should have asked before, but has anyone used them?

TimO
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

Looks like I might have to follow the same path re professional help. Which means I have to get the swingarm off. How did you deal with the funny ring nut that holds the swingarm on? Have you got a special tool for it, or do you know a good trick?

Cheers.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TimO wrote://...........Incidentally I've just sent my rear shock to Brook Suspension for a refurb, they're the ones who are on Ebay, I guess I should have asked before, but has anyone used them?

TimO
Not used them TimO but have been tempted. I'll be very interested to hear your results :D
Have the old shock in pieces in the shed which could go off quite quickly (funds allowing)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>