thrapped Sump Plug

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

thrapped Sump Plug

Post by RaptorJo »

After being for a nice run I thought I'd do an oil change, unscrewed the sump plug and the internal thread came away with it, possibly it was overtightend ever so slightly last change (blaming hubby for that). Anyways its proper thrapped now. I'm borrowing a trailer to take it to a nice mechanic who is gonna put an internal thread in. Being a learner to all this mechanic stuff, is there anything I should be aware of that can go wrong with this or is it pretty straight forward or any tips for the mechanic.

Also has anyone else noticed that parts on the OEM site are being discontinued, do i need to worry about this or can we get them from elsewhere?
kev
On the Road

Re: thrapped Sump Plug

Post by kev »

ye its easy done tell hubby to use a torque wrench next time. anyway once you get it helicoiled it will be better than new :lol:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Eek - yes the manual shows 10 times the torque needed for the sump plug if I remember right - I think it says 70 where it should be 7
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

I torque mine to 23 Nm newton meters which is enough. Old style would be finger tight then quarter turn.....

I also bought an aftermarket sump plug from the us which was a god send. It also came with a bigger magnet to capture any impurities in your oil. The washers also have a rubber seal which has proven never to leak, yay
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa