Newbie problem. Bike starts but dies when put into gear

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Newbie problem. Bike starts but dies when put into gear

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

Hi, everyone.
Just picked up the Raptor 1000 (2000 model) with a trailer and brought it home. The previous owner rode it up the ramp into the trailer, we lashed in in place (all nicely protected with an old duvet), and I drove back with it. Next day I wheeled it back down the ramp and was looking forward to finding out just what I have let myself in for, but it was not to be…
There was no problem when it was ridden around to and then into the trailer.
The bike starts just fine, but every time I try to engage gear the engine dies and there is a big clank as it goes into gear (actually the two are virtually simultaneous, so I'm assuming the ignition cuts out as I engage gear). Having downloaded the workshop manual (thanks to whomever for the link, BTW) I am most suspicious of the safety system which prevents the bike from being ridden off with the stand down (something which I came to regard as a feature on my old Le Mans Mk IV :) )
What puzzles me is that there was no problem when it was ridden around to and then into the trailer, and the bike didn't budge in transit. Nor was it strapped in such that anything could have been damaged or broken.
Anyway, before I start playing with the multimeter, I just thought I'd mention the problem, in case I'm being a complete idiot and I'm doing something stupid that every other Raptor owner knows not to do.
(I'll put up a proper introduction as soon as I'm a "proper" owner, i.e. a rider!)
Sgt. Fatknacker
On the Road

Re: Newbie problem. Bike starts but dies when put into gear

Post by Sgt. Fatknacker »

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be the sidestand switch all gummed up with chain lube. Give a good squirt of WD40 or similar under the little rubber boot until it frees off.
Hope this helps,
Stuart
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in - yes the sidestand switch can fox things two ways -
1. the switch itself - first check if it moves when you press it. If no then WD40 is your friend
2. Button not hitting switch (happened to me very recently) Get someone to hold the bike upright while you stand nearside and flick the stand up - now look to see if it has hit the switch - does it? If 'no' make sure the stand bolt is tightened up - on mine it came loose after cleaning**

and 3 of 2 :oops:
3. Electrickery - hmmm - ask someone else 'cos I ain't no lectricker :|

** See!! that proves it - I keep telling you all that cleaning is bad :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Thanks for the suggestions. You've helped me crack it.
Tried the WD40. No luck.
Did a continuity check on the switch, once I'd unhooked and disconnected the little connector on the frame . The switch appeared not to work when the stand was moved. Fortunately I didn't stop there.
Prompted by Snap's comment, I then looked at the side stand more closely. Sure enough, the little tang that should activate the switch button is missing it altogether. I wouldn't have expected that. The pivot bolt was loose, so I tightened that, but it has made no significant difference (looks as if it needs a lock nut, too). The only thing I can think of is that either the previous owner was very lucky not to have the problem or, more likely, four hours being jostled on the side stand in the back of an unsprung trailer has rearranged the stand or its mounting. And it doesn't look as if there is any adjustment on the switch fixings to realign things that way.
I guess the solution is to have a small piece of plate welded in addition to, or in place of, the existing tang. Or, if it has been "bent" maybe the stand needs "bending" back into place (with a little heat to help). Think I need a proper metal worker for that. (Nearly took a hammer to it, just like in the days of my youth! :) )
Too dark to see, now, so I'll have a closer look tomorrow and maybe remove the stand for modification. Bit of a bugger not having a centre stand; better start looking for a paddock stand thingy. The garage wall and some padding for the handlebars will have to do in the meantime.
Thanks again. I will sleep more soundly tonight!
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Being new to this forum, is there any way that I can close the topic I started now that I think it's solved? How does this work?
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

You don't need to close it, folks will always add summat useful :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Could find that an extra washer will pull it back into place, which will save major metal re-modelling
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Jethro
On the Road

Post by Jethro »

And an extra kick didn't work?

Have the problem here sometimes with a 650. Kick the stand in, start the engine, put it into 1st and then.. engine dead.
When I give the stand an extra kick, problem is solved. The stand just didn't get completely in the right position, because of some grease or dirt I guess.. :evil:
'96 Yamaha FZR 600R[/sold]
'01 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000[/sold]
'03 Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord [/sold]
'07 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000 [CURRENT]
'?? Cagiva X-tra Raptor [maybe in the future]