Paintwork

Chat about anything
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Paintwork

Post by slix2110 »

Hi, and many thanks for your warm welcome to a newbie like me!
It may be of interest to some amongst you that for some 15 years or so I had a bike painting business. (no money in it now-people just buy secondhand panels off ebay). I sell cars now but if anyone wants any advice on paintwork I have a lot of useful tips and tech knowledge on the subject. So if you are contemplating having a paintjob or doing it yourself give me a shout any time and if I can help I will. Cheers Slix
AZ
On the Road

Re: Paintwork

Post by AZ »

HI Slix,I know what you mean about there being no money in it.Been painting bikes for around 20 years now and these days i just tell everyone i don`t do them anymore and now i finally have a shiney bike of my own as before i was always doing someone elses.Just sticking with working for someone else and getting paid for my holidays and leave the worries to someone else.Hope you`re enjoying the Raptor,the best kept secret in biking when it comes to raw animal FUN :revrev: .
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Ballacraine
On the Road

Post by Ballacraine »

Very decent of you to offer your knowledge and experience.

Actually, I do have a painting related issue I am stumped with.

I am wanting to respray a spare V-Raptor petrol tank & am having great difficulty in preparing it.
It is a plastic tank, which I think wasn't prepared properly the last time it was sprayed.
Large chunks have flaked off over a fair percentage of the area, whilst other bits are pretty well stuck fast.

I am reluctant to have it blasted off for fear of damaging the tank surface.

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

Nige. :blush:
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder.

Arrival is a byproduct of the purpose.

BallacrainesCorner
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Post by slix2110 »

Hi Nige, The best thing you can do with your tank is to dry sand it with 80 grit paper until the original finish is visible, then 150 and finally 320 (which can be wet or dry). You will then be able to feel any imperfections or previous repairs. Digs and scrapes can be filled with regular car filler-you will prob be able to feel where original decals were. Any filler you apply, rub down using a softish block (Halfords do a good one at £4.99), 80grit then 150 and 320. 2 pack high build primer, several coats - follow instructions carefully re drying times between coats, leave 24 hours in dry place (primer absorbs moisture which will screw your paintjob 6 months later). apply a dust coat of any dark colour - aerosol is fine, as a guide coat. Finally, 600 grit wet sand using your block mainly. Keep at it till the guide coat is all sanded off and you're then ready for colour. Best of luck, its not rocket science, you just need to take your time. 90% of any paintjob is the bit you don't see. Thats why a good job costs a lot!

Steve
ps On no account have it blasted!
Ballacraine
On the Road

Post by Ballacraine »

Many thanks for the detailed advice, Steve.

Much appreciated.

I will print that out for reference whilst I'm on with it. :geek:

Nige. 8)
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder.

Arrival is a byproduct of the purpose.

BallacrainesCorner