What a day!!!

Chat about anything
Dodge
On the Road

What a day!!!

Post by Dodge »

Last week, a couple of mates that I hadn't seen for years, decided to spend a weeks holiday at Weston-super-Mare. A look at the map showed that all that seperated us from a bit of a reunion, was several miles of A39 Atlantic Highway, a road that runs all the way up the North Cornwall and North Devon coast and on to Somerset. The weather forcast for friday was warm and sunny, well it would be rude not to!! :)
Starting off from where I live, just outside Newquay, the road starts off just right, a nice fast stretch with a few flowing s-bends up to Wadebridge, ideal for getting things warmed up! Wadebridge to Camelford is all bends with a few hills and swoops as the road runs through the wood lined Allen Valley. From Camelford to Bude we're back on another fast road, again with some nice long bends to make things interesting.
Once you get passed Bude, things get really interesting, from now on, all the way up, through Bideford and on to Barnstaple, the roads is just awsome! Bend after bend, some fast, some s-bends and then the odd really tight ninety degree, a proper scratchers dream!! :nod:
I decided to turn off the A39 at Barnstaple and pick up the A361 that runs through Braunton, Ilfracombe and Coome Martin. Traffic was very heavy through this section, so I just switched off and admired the views. This is a lovely area from here on, all sea views and pretty coves and bays.
The A39 was picked up again just after Kentisbury and so on towards Minehead. This section again is awsome. The road
is all bends, some of which are 180 degree hairpins, it goes up and down hills like a roller coaster and the views are fantastic especially through Lynton and Lynmouth, then you rise up onto the downs of Exmoor before heading down the infamous 20% Porlock Hill into Porlock Village. The fuel light was on solid by now so the sight of a allbeit expensive garage was a welcome sight!
Porlock to Minehead starts off hilly with plenty of bends but gradually opens up so you can pick up the pace a bit! Unfortunately, from Minehead passed Watchet and onto Bridgewater, although the road again is full of bends, the traffic increases a lot, and coupled with village after village with 30mph speed limits and double white lines everywhere, things can get a bit frustrating when you want to get a move on :x After Bridgewater, a quick blat up the A38 I was there :thumbsup:
I spent a few hours with my old mates catching up with things and swapping stories, a can of beer and several cups of tea later, I turned around and did it all again in the opposite direction!!
In total, I did 347 miles, filled the Rappy up twice and thoroughly enjoyed myself. If any of you lot are thinking of travelling to or from the West Country, I can highly recommend this route, if you can avoid the busiest time of the year, even the Bridgewater Minehead section would be the nuts!!

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
snapdragon

Re: What a day!!!

Post by snapdragon »

:mrgreen: sounds absolutely delightful :ride: and I as have no hollibob plans I might need to look for somewhere I 'must go' to in the souther and wester region :evil:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: . :goodpost: .. I have ridden that way in the past... need to get back that way again. :revrev:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Sounds like a top ride, Dodge.

I've done a large chunk of that route many years ago. Unfortunately I was in a car, so spent much more of my time sitting frustrated in traffic than you.
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

347 miles and you only filled up twice!! I must be doing something wrong, I would of filled up at least 3 times!!!!!!!!!!
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

VRaptorMark wrote:347 miles and you only filled up twice!! I must be doing something wrong, I would of filled up at least 3 times!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the only one then! :blush:

Nice to see someone milemunching, Dodge :thumbsup:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Dodge
On the Road

Post by Dodge »

Went out for a blast down Perranporth today, fuel light came on about 500yds down the road so make that 340 miles and three tanks full! Didn,t think I was that much of a pussy!! :thumbsup:

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth