New Raptor Owner

Chat about anything
scottmoto

Post by scottmoto »

Spares availability and prices in Australia , Hmmm , where will I start.
Was unlucky to buy a Rusty (new) Raptor in Australia about 15 months ago. I believe that rusty parts on some of these bike was reasonably common. Any way I made a list with the dealer of all the rusty bits , most were bolts and brackets , but included in this list was fork stantions and rear shock body. To cut a long story short , it has taken 12 months to get most of this fixed (still no rear shock). Distributor in Aust doesn't carry anything at all , not even fork seals. But it gets worse , several weeks ago I crashed the bike , not at very high speed , and was able to ride it about 150 ks to get home. Insurance will cover it no probs , time to get a quote. Quote came to $22151.15 aus , $ 9000 more than what I payed for it new.Here are a few examples of parts prices , Speedo-$1600 , Wiring harness for speedo $1133 , Fuel tank-$3155 , Headlight-$576 , Left switch block-$425 , Plastic outer cluch cover-$345 Mirrors-$110 each , Radiator-$700 , even a clutch cable is $100.
There's over $8200 just in those few parts. Needless to say the Insurance comp wrote it off.
The shame of it is , I loved the bike itself , but spares , what can I say.
I am afraid that I wont be buying another one , have just ordered a new KTM to replace it.
A couple of bits I have still got ,if anyone is interested, A Matris M4 steering damper in as new cond , Remus Grandprix muflers , slightly scatched , Ventura rack rails to suit raptor.Please PM me if interested.
Thats my experience with Cagiva in Australia , thanks , Scott. :cry:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Scott - buy it back and get the parts from europe I reckon the only correct price there is the radiator. The others are lies
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
scottmoto

Post by scottmoto »

Sorry to say that I have lost all patience in waiting for parts for bike.
The cost of postage on parts from Europe and the time involved in tracking them down still wouldn't be worth my while.
I have no salvage rights on the bike , so would have to go to auction to buy it back. The auction would probably be in Melbourne (interstate) as they would be selling to a bigger population base than here in Tassie.
The cost involved in flying there and back and then shipping bike back home , added to the cost of buying the bike (presuming I won the auction) would definatly not be worth it.
So I am afraid thats the end of story for me and Raptors , which is a pity , because I loved the bike , but hate the zero parts backup and the million dollar parts when they do turn up.
Needless to say I won't be buying anything that Cagiva/MV makes again.
I am told by friends , and by a dealer , that in Australia MV parts are the same , expensive and long wait to get anything (3 to 6 months).
Any way , I already have spent the money that I got back from insurance on a KTM 640 Adventure , (back to what I had before Raptor) , where I know I will not have trouble geting parts , should I need them , and they will not cost an arm and a leg.
I am sorry that I have not been more active in this group , because it seems that there are a lot of good people out there in Raptor land.
Cheers ,
Scott. :(
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:( I understand now, it's a long ways to go for anything isn't it?

All the best with your KTM mate have fun :D
SnappY
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

thanks for the scare mate , i'll have to weld up a full roll cage for mine or wrap her in something soft and fluffy i guess . i take mine to the track every now and then (insurance wont cover you there) enjoy the KTM, now where's that cotton wool :shock:
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
JLittler
On the Road

Post by JLittler »

Hi there

Another new Raptor owner to add to the list, while I hesitated and ended up not buying one in 02 (concerns about the factory going bust), I've succumbed the week before last and took delivery of an 04 X Raptor. Seems like there's a few Aussies on here and I also know two other happy owners (one in Briz and one in Tassie) so I took the plunge.

Pretty happy so far, I like the improved handling from the raised ride height (I gather from Feeney's website that's now standard for all current model Raptors -805mm). Wind blast a lot worse than I expected at 140K + so I've talked to AJ Plastic about a screen - the one they showed me pics of is way too big and ugly, so I've asked about a cut down version, if anyone is interested in one, let me know. Looks the dogs bollocks and rides well.

Will be adding aftermarket cans to make it sound like a twin again - any opinions on brands ? Staintune do a stainless pair, formula 1 seem to have a carbon clad pair (that'd look better :-) Any other suggestions that are easily available in Oz ?

Will probably put the CF belly pan on it too.

JL
Sydney Oz
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum 8)
danman
On the Road

Post by danman »

I've got a set of Staintunes on my 650. I like the look of them, not sure of the polished finish will suit the X though. The Staintunes also have an insert which can be removed from inside the tailpipe taking the note from fruity but legal to even more fruity but slightly illegal.

One point that was made to me about exhausts is that getting a set of pipes such as Staintunes are good if you ever drop the bike as they provide a level of protection to the rest of the bike.

Trust this helps.

Danman
DeanoSeadog
On the Road

Post by DeanoSeadog »

I got a set of the hi rise titanium G&G pipes from red racing in italy (I'm in Sydney). THey were excellent, cost about AU$1000 all up with shipping and tax, took about a week to get here. I couldn't be happier. They are a bit loud, but thats kind of what I wanted. You can fit restrictors to them if you want. Oh and they were nearly 6kg lighter than the stock ones.
danman
On the Road

Re: New Raptor Owner

Post by danman »

It's been a while since I posted as I sold the bike about three years or so ago. Now I'm looking around for a more classic cafe style bike but I've seen 'my bike' come back for sale for not much money.

What do people think about buying an old bike back? I did sell it for a reason, but it is a good price.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Depends what the reason was and if it's now resolved danman :)

and if the Raptor's still in good order
SnappY
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I have bought bikes back again on a couple of occasions and twice in one case ;) If its running well and the price is right why not !
Twisted Tequila Sister
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

As the others said depends on the reason. Its like moving back in with the ex . :angry:
Bit of a Muppet
Raptoress
On the Road

Post by Raptoress »

great to hear from aussie owners, i've only had my Raptor 1000 for several months, but nothing has ever put that stupid grin on my face before this. :D
Went thru the Putty with my husband in March, and for the 1st time eva, i kept up with him ! ! :revrev:

mine has staintunes and they sound awesome,(with the slightly illegal mods)
Apart from the unique and must have parts, my husband is quite handy, and i think most parts could be made or modified if any thing is needed.

i have always loved the Ducati monsters, but altho i rode one for a while, it never gave the stupid grin, and maintenence is huge.

Cant ever see me getting rid of the Raptor. :thumbsup:

(Anyone want to buy a unused Kawasaki Zephyr?)
There is no better high, than a good days riding !

Raptor 1000
Z1R
Jethro
On the Road

Post by Jethro »

Raptoress wrote: (Anyone want to buy a unused Kawasaki Zephyr?)
Unused? :Unsure:
'96 Yamaha FZR 600R[/sold]
'01 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000[/sold]
'03 Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord [/sold]
'07 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000 [CURRENT]
'?? Cagiva X-tra Raptor [maybe in the future]